EX1 or - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old January 23rd, 2009, 09:24 PM   #16
Major Player

I would doubt that Sony will have a newer version of the EX1 so soon, especially since there's nothing on the market in the price range that can touch it. For those needing these high-def specs (min 1/2" chips), nothing else comes close to this resolution in this target market. I think Sony put a lot into this puppy and they need it on the market longer. But I honestly don't know what I'm talking about. They might need to answer the Scarlet when it eventually comes out. Panosonic's recent offerings, although great for their target market, just don't compete with the specs/resolution yet and they don't appear to be aggressively going that direction with their latest stuff. My opinion only.
Buck Forester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2009, 10:51 PM   #17
Major Player

I evaluated a Panasonic HMC150 but it isn't in the same class as the EX1 from an image quality and pro feel. I actually liked the weight, balance and ergonomics of the HMC150 but the wretched AVCHD workflow (at least on a Mac) made it a big hard drive hog and more time consuming to ingest and edit than HDV tape.

If your a PC / Windows user maybe Vegas works with AVCHD well but on the Mac right now it's a loser for pro work if you shoot a lot of footage.

The JVC EXCam, if the image quality is good, is a great companion to the EX1 but I have doubts it would equal or surpass it quality wise, however I'm still very excited about that camcorder. However the EX1 is over 1 year old now, they may come up with an update to it that may address some of the annoyances that we all put up with. Right now the EX1 is in a unique sweet spot of price and features, the EX3 maybe more so because of the lens options.
Keith Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2009, 09:38 AM   #18
Trustee

There's something else - the EX-1, with its 1/2" chip, out to have a DOF much closer to 35 mm film than a 1/4" chip set.

Personally, I hate 35 mm adapters and want a cam that already is close to "film" DOF.

john
John Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2009, 03:03 PM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Hayes View Post
that JVC may be an EX killer with the same low light chips and no cmos issues to deal
with.
You are deluding yourself. NO WAY a camera with 1/4" chips is going to kill the camera with 1/2" chips.
Craig Terott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2009, 03:18 PM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Terott View Post
You are deluding yourself. NO WAY a camera with 1/4" chips is going to kill the camera with 1/2" chips.
Maybe they're thinking that it's not the size, but how you use them.
Old January 27th, 2009, 04:44 PM   #21
Major Player

I didnt realize it had .25" chips until i read a few more posts, ugh, what a waste.
why couldnt jvc put the SDHC capability into the GY series they already have?
Scott Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2009, 07:51 PM   #22
Inner Circle

JVC HM cameras will complement Sony EX series nicely. The don't compete so much as offer a broader range of options all using the EX codec.

HM100 1/4" CCD
HM700 1/3" CCD and shoulder mount (although the picture was pulled).

You'll now have the option of a smaller hand held or shoulder mount camera (assuming the HM700 ends up looking like the picture) in addition smaller CCD chips or larger CMOS chips. JVC fills the holes Sony left open. Personally I think their partnership is really going to put the squeeze on Panasonic. We'll see what Sony does on the higher end to compete with Panasonic.

Please do read the thread that was linked to on the discussion. JVC and Sony are in alliance to have the EX codec take a lead over AVC IMHO.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds