EX1 video input to Avid liquid 7 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old January 24th, 2009, 12:03 AM   #1
Regular Crew

EX1 video input to Avid liquid 7

I am having trouble inputting my Ex1 footage shot as 1920x1080p at 25fps PAL into Avid Liquid 7. Any suggestions would be appreciated. The clips have been downloaded onto a hard drive using Sony clip browser.
Peter Donaldson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2009, 10:50 AM   #2
Inner Circle

You don't mention what "trouble" you're having.
Avid Liquid 7 descended from Pinnacle Liquid I believe. There is also Pro and Chrome Xe.
You'd have to know what codecs Liquid supports. Can it handle the MP4 files or MXF? If not, you'll have to convert to another codec. If going to another codec involves significant time or a re-encode (and therefor a loss of quality) you might have to consider another NLE which might include upgrading to an Avid system that supports MXF (if Liquid does not).
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2009, 03:29 PM   #3
Major Player

You will need to convert your files to mxf (which Liquid does support), and they should import straight away. I am using both Media Composer and Liquid to edit my EX1 footage and both work brilliantly. Liquid is a great editor for the money, not quite in Media Composers class - but at a fraction of the cost it is hard to beat, and has an advantage in being a native mpeg editor - which no other NLE is.

Last edited by Graeme Fullick; January 25th, 2009 at 04:51 AM.
Graeme Fullick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2009, 05:05 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Graeme, that's why I was confused about Peter's post. ClipBrowser has export to MXF for NLEs. Peter did not say what "trouble" he found so I was thinking maybe that didn't work. I could have given him a more complete answer with screenshot 6 hours ago if he mentioned what the trouble was.
Attached Thumbnails
EX1 video input to Avid liquid 7-exporttomxf.jpg  
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2009, 06:19 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks Guys

Sorry for not being more specific Craig. I tried to do it using the conversion to Avid V5 in Clip Browser but when I attempted to input these to Avid it didn't recognize the CODEC. I have since followed your advice Graeme using the mxf file conversion and can now input. I am only setting up Avid for the first time so am a complete beginner with it. Using this route will I preserve the HD quality? So far I haven't found any sound or maybe it isn't turned on in Avid as yet. Any suggestions would be gratefully received.
Old January 25th, 2009, 04:50 AM   #6
Major Player

Peter,

There is no loss in quality what so ever, and there should not be a problem with the sound.

Good luck, and enjoy your editing.
Old January 26th, 2009, 11:30 AM   #7
Regular Crew

sounds familier

What operating system are you using?

if you have Windows VISTA, Pinnacle / Avid Liquid products will not work properly (there is also no support from Liquid for this issue)
I had to learn this the hard way, buying a render beast from HP, only to find no sound in my MXF imported files, once I had successfully installed the Liquid 7.2 software.

the system also managed to toss the four projects I had saved as tests overnight and I had left the system running.

I was so glad to be rid of VISTA once I'd given the HP back to the shop I bought it from
Kenny Cowburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2009, 12:41 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Liquid works great with EX1 footage using the MXF format. If you have Liquid installed on Vista, best to check the Pinnacle Liquid Forum. Error Vista is not officially supported but many are using it. There's some tricks to the install.
Marc Myers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2009, 05:05 PM   #9
Regular Crew

I'm using windows XP. When I export from Clip browser using mxf for nles I do not get sound. I do not know what the size of the image is. When I use the mxf XDCAM HD 25 Mbps option I do get sound but lose the full 1920 pixel width and get 1440 x 1080 at 25p. When I use the mxf XDCAM HD422 option which supposedly gives the full 1920 width, I cannot transfer and get the message "File cannot be imported Format or compression is not supported"

I wish to get the full 1920 x 1080p at 25 fps across and then work on them with the full 16 x9 format frame showing in the preview window.
Old January 29th, 2009, 01:10 PM   #10
Regular Crew

After much trying and questioning I have found that avid Liquid 7 does not support full HD . The best it will do is 1440 x 1080P. I am now trialling Edius V5 which so far appears to be excellent and certainly can input full HD
Old January 29th, 2009, 01:17 PM   #11
Regular Crew

I use Edius 5 and have done for 12months - u will find it handles EX1 files with ease!
Matt San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2009, 01:38 PM   #12
Regular Crew

This is not exactly true. Normal Liquid can only use up to 50 mbits/s for it's m2v codecs. This is fine for HDV editing or SD editing but it really left those who were serious about HD production in the dark. There is also an uncompressed HD mode which is a total hard drive pig and requires a supercompter. This is the two extreme ends to the spectrum with no in between. But there's a free tool, developed in part in response to XDCAMHD, on the Liquid forums which allows bitrates up to 300 mbits/s (37.5 MB/S), . It isn't lossless but by report you would be hard pressed to tell the difference. Many other NLES use some form of intermediate format for HD production work such as Cineform, Canopus, Avid DnxHD, and Apple Prores. These formats allow people to work with a high quality HD format that doesn't eat massive amounts of drive space and bandwidth.
Marc Myers is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds