My Sony EX3 is useless - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old January 31st, 2009, 03:56 PM   #46
Inner Circle

As Bectu includes anyone working in the media, interactive web, tv and video production if you are shooting something with a video camera for public display you would almost certainly be covered. If you want to film on public transport, at a station, airport or large public venue you would nearly always need 5 million of cover. Best bet is to call the union, they don't bite!
Old January 31st, 2009, 04:04 PM   #47
Major Player

I have been an ACTT/ BECTU member for 38 years, the benefits are certainly a useful thing to have at your disposal in times of trouble.
Bruce Rawlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2009, 05:44 PM   #48
Trustee

Vincent,
Sorry to hear about your accident. Reminds me of the time I was a PA on a job which a cameraman left his Ikegami HL-79A set up on a tripod and it took a nose dive smashing the lens through the front plate back into the tubes. This was early 80's and set back the company about $20K to get it fixed. See how technology has advanced... that camera was about 50K and didn't record without an external deck.
As for what happened to your camera I would check it out very carefully for damage to the rest of the body. Small cracks in the body or lens mount as well as optical issues due to the fall may not show up right away. It may be worth letting Sony go over it after you have the new lens just to make sure nothing else is amiss.
Daniel Epstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2009, 03:16 AM   #49
Trustee

Thanks for the advice Daniel, I will be getting the camera looked over asap. I am aware that if the lens mount has been distorted then the camera will be of no use to anyone.

Alister & Bruce, I will still look into the BECTU membership, and most certainly will be updating all my insurance policies. Thanks
Old February 2nd, 2009, 02:33 PM   #50
Regular Crew

insurance

Hi - if you have a video-professional insurance policy, you often don't need to advise your insurer of individual items; providing the total amount of your policy covers the value of the lost / broken item, you just need the receipt - with our insurers, anyway.
Old February 4th, 2009, 02:15 PM   #51
Trustee

OK, I have learnt the hard way. I now have a full comprehesive insurance policy together with public liability and goods in trust etc.

I also have a brand new lens for the EX3, and keep fingers crossed all the tests I have done this evening look very good. I will do some outside shots in the morning, I don't forsee any problem.

Can anyone suggest some test routines?

Thanks for all your support in this forum, I appreciate it.
Old February 4th, 2009, 02:49 PM   #52
Inner Circle

1. Check tripod fittings are tight
2. Check tripod fittings are tight
3. .........Have fun with your new EX3 lens!

My guess (I'm not yet an expert in this) is that you might want to check the back focus etc. type things with the new lens (in very good light).

Hope all goes well Vincent and it's great to hear you're probably back up and running so quickly.
Old February 4th, 2009, 03:14 PM   #53
Trustee

Tripod has been tightened, assistant has been briefed - next time it will be a broken nose. Insurance is in place. Back focus has been done (I never did this with the first lens) Zoom from wide to telephoto now holds its focus. I'm now all set to complete my DVD production - I am running 10 days late, but who is counting. Will do my outside tests in the morning - the lens turned up at 4.00 pm
Old February 4th, 2009, 03:50 PM   #54
Major Player

Good luck I'm glad things have worked out in the end.
Bruce Rawlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2009, 10:33 PM   #55
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Oliver View Post

Can anyone suggest some test routines?

Thanks for all your support in this forum, I appreciate it.
I'd shoot with it in broad sunlight with the camera itself exposed to direct sunlight -- then blast light all around the lens area to possible expose any tiny cracks that might leak light on to the sensor. Then I'd test it on skin tones too since they're so critical.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2009, 12:19 AM   #56
Trustee

I have done several intial tests and so far the camera/lens seems to be working OK.

A photographer friend said that if a camera/lens is sharp with a wide angle lens/setting, then there should be no problem. This due to a shallow depth of focus on the film plane. Any missalignment would show up immediately. Whereas shooting with a long/telephonto setting you would have a greater depth of focus, so this would look sharp for most shooting situations.

I will do some outside testing as soon as we have some light.
Old February 8th, 2009, 05:52 PM   #57
Major Player

Returning from vacation, I'm thrilled to see that you might have resolved things with a lens, rather than a whole camera. That's good news, Vincent!
Old February 9th, 2009, 01:35 AM   #58
Trustee

Thanks Ted,

After extensive testing, studio and location, I can now say that the camera/lens is performing superbly, ie, no lens mount distortion.

The other thing I would like to mention is that the camera had the DM shouldermount fitted when the camera went down. Had this not been in place then I am almost 90% sure that the tripod mount would have also been ripped out - the Sony tripod socket leaves a lot to be desired.

I am now back on course with my DVD project, hopefully this will be the last week of shooting.
Old February 18th, 2009, 12:19 PM   #59
Trustee

Just as a final note on this thread. I am relieved to find out that my home insurance company will pay for the replacement to my damaged EX3 lens. However, they have told me that any future claims for photographic gear must be claimed for under a dedicated policy. I have since taken out a fully comprehensive policy for equipment and public liability etc.

It has been quite an ordeal and very upsetting too. My advice to anyone who hasn't got full insurance, is to take out a policy asap.

Once again thank you all for your words of support.

Your sincerely

Vincent Oliver
Old February 19th, 2009, 04:04 AM   #60
Major Player

Glad to hear at the end of the day they paid out and all it cost you were a few sleepless nights before everyting was rectified.

People tend to think things like this won't happen to them, but eventually the chances are it will.
Steve Shovlar is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds