XDCAM EX and Final Cut Express? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old January 30th, 2009, 05:27 PM   #1
Regular Crew

XDCAM EX and Final Cut Express?

I cannot get the XDCAM Transfer Software to recognize any of the HD footage from my XDCAM.

At the startup of XDCAM Transfer it lists all the components I'm missing, and they all seem to be tied in with Final Cut Pro. Is FCP my only option with this camera? Can I find the components somewhere else? Or, am I just doing something wrong? Please let me know.

Here's a list of the missing components: MPEG IMX Codecs, XDCAM HD (25Mb/s CBR) Codecs, XDCAM HD (VBR) Codecs. XDCAM EX Codecs, XDCAM HD422 Codecs.

I was really hoping to just use Final Cut Express to do my editing, but that prospect is looking more and more bleak as I look further into it.

I'm using a 2.6 Ghz 17" Mac Book Pro running 10.5.6.

I look forward to your input.

Thanks.
Greg Kiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2009, 06:34 PM   #2
Inner Circle

FCP 6.0.2 and up.
I don't think Final Cut Express supports XDCAM.
Download the demo of this as it's the codec for non Final Cut Pro systems but I'm not sure if it'll create a conflict with FCE.
Calibrated{Q} XD Decode
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2009, 07:12 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Hey Craig, we are into downloading this and it appears to work. bought the full non-trial version and will put it to the test.

get back to you soon

thanks again!!

greg kiger
st louis
Old February 11th, 2009, 12:20 PM   #4
Regular Crew

It Worked!!!

Craig,

It works great. In my workflow, I don't actually use the Calibrated XD software itself, but needed the plugins provided with it to view the raw XDCAM footage in XDCAM Transfer. Thanks to your help, I can now work with Final Cut Express instead of Final Cut Pro for the time being.

One more thing, I still seem to be missing the IMX codec. Is this something I will eventually need, or can I disregard it?

Thanks for your help.

Greg Kiger
Saint Louis
Old February 11th, 2009, 01:48 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Ah, looks like the fine folks at Calibrated Software also offer a Calibrated{Q} IMX Decode codec as well - this is for Sony IMX 30/40/50 Mb SD Files - that's what the iMX codec is needed for. So if you are only shooting HD and not using SD then you don"t have to worry about it. Cool :)

Thanks

Greg Kiger
St louis
Old February 11th, 2009, 01:50 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Ah, looks like the fine folks at Calibrated Software also offer a Calibrated{Q} IMX Decode codec as well - this is for Sony IMX 30/40/50 Mb SD Files - that's what the iMX codec is needed for. So if you are only shooting HD and not using SD then you don"t have to worry about it. Cool :)

Thanks

Greg Kiger
St louis
Old February 11th, 2009, 05:53 PM   #7
Major Player

AFAIK FCP Express is for Dv only.
But I was once wrong before....
Old February 12th, 2009, 01:00 AM   #8
Better than Halle Berry

XDCAM EX is not supported in FCE.

Noah
Noah Kadner is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds