EX / FCP into Avid / HDCAM via SxS at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old January 31st, 2009, 09:52 AM   #1
Major Player

EX / FCP into Avid / HDCAM via SxS

Just wanted to report some success in delivering edited material using the EX as a "deck." One of our local stations has just started accepting local HD commercials--but only on HDCAM or if they can easily ingest it into their Avid Adrenaline. I'm on FCP and do not have HD-SDI out of my Mac Pro (nor an HDCAM deck needless to say).

So using XDCAM export from FCP, I put my commercials back to the camera, brought the camera to the station, and played into their system via HD-SDI--worked and looks terrific. Because their Avid was free, we went directly in (it goes to their on-air server from there), but could also have gone into their HDCAM deck.

Here's the trick though: the video had to be 1080i to work. Their Avid wouldn't recognize 720/30p, which is how I'm editing (ProRes and uncompressed). So in the XDCAM export I transcoded to 1080i. I was a little worried about what the up-scaling might do, but as I said, it looks really good on their HD monitors.

Not being familiar with Avid, I can't say for sure if maybe it couldn't be set up differently to accept other formats. And I wasn't able to test which formats the HDCAM deck liked (though I've read elsewhere that 1080i is best for it). But this works.
Rob Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2009, 10:08 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Why not ask if they accept MPEG-2 Program or Transport streams. That what their server is likely using. It's how I deliver my spots. Almost all (at least 80% AFAIK) of the cable stations in the country accept Program or Transport streams for spots. DGFastchannel provides delivery if the station doesn't accept it directly.

What you're doing is a lot of wasted hours for which usually takes me no more than 5 minutes to compress and another 5 minutes to upload.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2009, 01:13 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Craig. I use DG frequently, but they can't deliver HD from an upload--you have to send them a tape. I hope at some point that'll change.

You're probably right that in theory I could compress for their server in HD, but they didn't know how to do that. It's a brand new system for them--this was the only way to deliver in HD at the moment.
Old January 31st, 2009, 01:27 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Hmm, I have HD encode specs from DG although I haven't tested yet. I understand DG is ready or near ready to do this. I consult on Telestream Episode to DG workflow so it's not uncommon for me to field phone calls or emails from either DG or Telestream in this regard. DG gave me their HD specs. There's no "custom" per station as far as I know so I have to assume DG's HD specs are universal.

As to your local station for your delivery, somebody has to know what their server can handle unless they're not using it. Even if they have no clue how to interpret the specs they have to have them written someplace or they one heck of a doorstop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Collins View Post
Thanks Craig. I use DG frequently, but they can't deliver HD from an upload--you have to send them a tape. I hope at some point that'll change.

You're probably right that in theory I could compress for their server in HD, but they didn't know how to do that. It's a brand new system for them--this was the only way to deliver in HD at the moment.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2009, 01:30 PM   #5
Major Player

I'd love to have those specs if you can share. This channel CAN accept HD from DG--but again, as of this moment, DG needs a tape.
Old January 31st, 2009, 02:12 PM   #6
Inner Circle

I just send you DG HD DropBox (FTP) specs. That DG sent me.

For those reading the thread the basics are:
MPEG-2 Transport Stream
45Mbps
Long GOP IBBP preferered.
4:2:2 MP&HL

Audio MPEG-1 Layer 2
Stereo
48KHz
-20 dBfs
(they also have LPCM alternative specs)

Spot can be 720p59.94 or 1080i29.97

2-3 seconds black
5-7 seconds slate
2-3 seconds black
10, 15, 30 or 60 second spot
2-3 seconds of black
ISCI file name (3-14 characters) all uppercase with H at end for signify HD

Slate should have ISCI/Ad-ID
Title
Length
Stereo or 5.1 Surround
Closed Captioning if applicable
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds