XDCAM HD and EX workflow for Final Cut Pro, Vegas, Premiere, Avid, Edius at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old February 3rd, 2009, 01:13 AM   #1
Inner Circle

XDCAM HD and EX workflow for Final Cut Pro, Vegas, Premiere, Avid, Edius

XDCAM HD and EX workflow for NLEs

Apple Final Cut Pro
http://pro.sony.com/bbsccms/assets/f...kflow_v9_6.pdf

Sony Vegas Pro

Adobe Premiere Pro

Avid Media Composer

Thomson Edius Pro
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2009, 02:07 AM   #2
Inner Circle

This should be a sticky.
Old February 3rd, 2009, 05:15 AM   #3
Major Player

Sony neglected to include the old favourite Media 100. Actually it's very straightforward accessing the transfer software from within Media 100. Pretty much select the clips and import them to the project with all the settings that would have been selected prior to the import.
Old February 3rd, 2009, 07:40 AM   #4
Major Player

Thank you

I have been trying to get the cows to come home. Now I'll just send this link.
Dennis Dillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2009, 11:42 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Maybe Sony based their decision on current market share of some sort.

In any case it may not be straightforward to newbie Media 100 users or new to file based workflow. Is Media 100 using MP4, MXF, MOV. You mention "transfer software" and Sony's XDCAM Transfer Software wraps to MOV so that implies Media 100 is compatible XDCAM EX MOV codec without rendering.

Sony posted these so people don't have to go through trial and error. It's great they did this specific for the major NLEs.

I've run in to a few Media 100 users who are going through apparently hellish workarounds so if you've got a simple workflow that only involves a rewrap rather than a re-encode maybe you can do a step by step. Maybe contact Sony and ask them to post a Media 100 version.

Yes, this should be a sticky. It's great Sony provided this supplement which goes beyond general manuals or PDF provided with ClipBrowser and/or XDCAM Transfer Software.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Issko View Post
Sony neglected to include the old favourite Media 100. Actually it's very straightforward accessing the transfer software from within Media 100. Pretty much select the clips and import them to the project with all the settings that would have been selected prior to the import.
Old February 3rd, 2009, 04:57 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Seeman View Post
I've run in to a few Media 100 users who are going through apparently hellish workarounds so if you've got a simple workflow that only involves a rewrap rather than a re-encode maybe you can do a step by step. Maybe contact Sony and ask them to post a Media 100 version.
There are no workarounds with EX and Media 100. It is so very easy to import the EX footage into Media 100. You can access the Sony Transfer software directly from within M100. Set up the M100 project like any other, choose the Codec, create the bins, activate the import Sony EX files to open the (Sony) Transfer software. It does take a few minutes to import the files (depending on how much material you have of course) but I just set it up, press go, do something else, then return to find all of the selected clips arranged perfectly in the bin. How easy is that!!!

The M100 users that have those 'problems' you mentioned do not have their systems set up for EX properly or do not know how to use the system.

It was just a shame that Sony did not include M100 in their list of NLEs. No big deal.
Old February 3rd, 2009, 05:32 PM   #7
Inner Circle

David, the codec is in what wrapper? XDCAM EX is the codec but it's not the wrapper. Is it MP4, MXF or MOV?

If it's Sony's XDCAM Transfer software it's MOV. Sony advertises it for Final Cut Pro specifically. There may well be contractual or license reasons why Sony can't pronounce it as usable with an NLE other than FCP.

I've certainly experienced conversations with several Media 100 users who have complained about the lack of EX codec support. It may not have been recently though. It seems Media 100 may have added this feature around July 2008 but I know others that were still claiming Media 100 did not support EX as late as October.

Last edited by Craig Seeman; February 3rd, 2009 at 09:59 PM.
Old February 4th, 2009, 05:47 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Seeman View Post
I've certainly experienced conversations with several Media 100 users who have complained about the lack of EX codec support.

but I know others that were still claiming Media 100 did not support EX as late as October.
Correct, there isn't any EX codec support from Media 100 at the moment for reasons only Media 100 know. But with ProRez 422HQ as the codec of my choice, it's an easy import for me. Yes it is a codec change but I have never had to undertake any work arounds nor have I encountered problems when importing my EX clips into Media 100.

I will, however check with Media 100 if and when they are going to support the EX codec for non codec changing direct import into Media 100.

For those who do have Media 100, there is a very easy EX import tutorial on the Media 100 website.
Old February 4th, 2009, 11:03 AM   #9
Trustee

Thanks Craig for posting the links to these documents. I've the one for Final Cut Pro for a while now. It was VERY helpful. The only thing I would warn people about is that the instructions are for the earlier versions of the Sony software. They have made some changes since, so some of the instructions will be a little off. But still GREAT info.

Good call Craig! :)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds