iris ring isn't turning smooth anymore at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old February 5th, 2009, 01:30 AM   #1
Major Player

iris ring isn't turning smooth anymore

Suddenly I noticed the iris ring is giving me a hard time. It was always very smooth, now it takes some power to turn it. When I use the iris ring in auto mode, it doensn't properly turn anymore to compensate exposure. any idea what might causing this?

Quick other question ; Can one use the Ewa Marine under water housing for the EX1 also for the EX3? Anybody knows?
Eugene Presley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2009, 09:18 AM   #2

Sounds like it's time to send it into Sony for a repair. Forcing it could make it worse!
Jay Gladwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2009, 11:01 AM   #3
Trustee

If you are using Auto Mode, then the Iris ring will be powered, just like the Zoom control when you turn the zoom servo On, don'r force either. Try turning the Auto Iris Off and see if it is still stiff.
Old February 5th, 2009, 11:06 AM   #4
Major Player

Mine has always been a little stiff, just not as smooth as a SLR iris with just a little drag or 'momentum' to it. I've thought that was the normal behavior. There is definitely some mass to it and the auto is disengaged. It's really hard to turn with Auto On and the the ring will turn back to what it thinks is the correct setting in that mode.
Keith Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2009, 11:10 AM   #5
Trustee

Just checked my (NEW) EX3 lens using Auto Iris ON and OFF, and there is no drag in either mode.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds