Naming SxS Cards? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old February 7th, 2009, 12:33 PM   #16
Trustee

Good to know that you've never had issue with your work flow Craig. Thanks for the reply.

But isn't saying "formatting is a complete waste of time" a little harsh? I mean formatting a 16 GB card takes about 10 seconds. I don't know about you, but I wouldn't call 10 seconds "a complete waste of time". But maybe your schedule is tighter than mine. Cheers! :)
Old February 7th, 2009, 12:41 PM   #17
Inner Circle

from the other Craig

The only problem with formating is you lose the card name. I don't like seeing "untitled" when a card mounts. Another issue is if you do save your camera settings (Picture Profiles for example) you lost them with format. Of course you can back those up to something if needed so it's not that big of a deal.

I just don't think formating buys you much security. I've never had an SxS or SDHC card go bad. I DO format if I ever see a clip error though.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2009, 12:46 PM   #18
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchell Lewis View Post
I don't know about you, but I wouldn't call 10 seconds "a complete waste of time".
Perhaps I should be blushing at saying this, but I just format cards. I tried naming them nicely, but the only bit of software noticing this was me. XDCAM Transfer knows the difference between a bunch of cards called 'untitled'. ShotPut EX does a date thing.

But I do number the physical cards, so I can keep a note of what is on what.
Old February 7th, 2009, 12:54 PM   #19
Inner Circle

Seeing the card name on the desktop keeps me from accidently copying one card twice and not doing another.

Doing Delete Clips from ClipBrowser means I'm conscious of the clips I'm deleting. I can see them for instance. It's just another precaution to prevent deleting the wrong clips.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2009, 12:56 PM   #20
Trustee

So it sounds like either work flow works.

#1: Name your cards (with software) and then just use ALL CLIPS DELETE to delete them

OR

#2: Physically name your cards with a marker and then just FORMAT then to erase them

Or a combination of both.

Thanks everyone. I might try naming them and then using ALL CLIPS DELETE and see if that workflow works for my needs. I appreciate you taking the time to answer my very basic question.

BTW, on a related subject, Dana on the "other forum" has come up with a clever idea using large rubber bands on how to temporarily label your cards as SAVE or DOWNLOADED. Check it out under the XDCAM EX thread.
Old February 7th, 2009, 01:00 PM   #21
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Seeman View Post
Doing Delete Clips from ClipBrowser means I'm conscious of the clips I'm deleting. I can see them for instance. It's just another precaution to prevent deleting the wrong clips.
I didn't know that you could you could delete clips using the XDCAM EX Clip Browser software. Do you simply select the clip(s) and click the Trash Can icon? Then they are permanently deleted?

See now this is another no-no when using digital still cameras. The manuals normally say NOT to delete clips using anything but the camera. But maybe it's okay to do this using the Clip Browser because its Sony software.

Thanks Craig.
Old February 7th, 2009, 07:30 PM   #22
Inner Circle

In ClipBrowser
Select All
Delete

I like this because I can actually see the clips I'm deleting. It's just another security blanket so I know I'm deleting an already copied card.

In the camera it's too easy to either delete clips or format the wrong card especially when there are two cards in the camera. Deleting in ClipBrowser allows me to see what's being deleted and assures me the camera is getting an empty card which needs no further action from the camera.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds