BBC Analysis & Recommended Settings for EX1/EX3 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old February 11th, 2009, 12:59 AM   #16
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki View Post
Even for a 50i PAL DVD, Bob?

Yes. 1080p seems to deliver too much resolution requiring wrangling aliasing and twitter problems when downscaled.
Bob Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2009, 01:27 AM   #17
Trustee

Great read.
720p is great for SD.
Simon Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2009, 04:29 AM   #18
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Luce View Post
I saw an analysis of 1080p versus 720p downrezzed for SD. I don't recall the specifics and the hows, but the 1080p looked better.
It's important to specify the framerates. With this camera, (and pretty much all others) the choice will be between 1080p/25 and 720p/50 - which equates to "film-look" or "smooth" motion.

A downconversion of 1080p/25 will be fine if film look motion is required, but 720p/50 if smooth motion.

As for the original comment, (In a nutshell, they recommend 1080i for HD broadcast acquisition and 720p if the target is SD.) then that implies smooth motion is being referred to. If film look is actively wanted, then 1080p/25 would be the preferred mode. The BBC HD channel is transmitted 1080i/25, but carries a lot of p material as 1080psf/25, mainly drama etc.

The goal must be 1080p/50 (60), at least for acquisition.
David Heath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2009, 02:17 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Not quite understanding

There is a point made in the document that refers to possible 'twittering' on HD broadcast material if shot 25p and then viewed on a crt tv. Forgive me if I have missed something, but would anyone be watching HD material on a crt tv. Is it not the case that all HD displays are LCD or plasma and are therefore not affected by said problem.
Eric A Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2009, 02:50 PM   #20
Inner Circle

1080P downconverts to SD well. The problem is downconverting 1080i as most software solutions make a mess of the fields as you need to use 1.8 of the HD TV lines for each new SD line (for PAL) and this gives some messy edges.

Taking the detail down just a tiny bit will reduce or eliminate the twitter, if the view has a CRT which is unlikely but it also reduces the stress on the codec quite a bit which will reduce the amount of artifacts.
Old February 12th, 2009, 07:25 AM   #21
Major Player

Forgive me if I have missed something, but would anyone be watching HD material on a crt tv.
=================

Sure. In many homes all over the world. For now anyway.

So then what would be the best mode to shoot for best looking display of an SD DVD on BOTH CRT televisions and LCD televisions?
I am asking for NTSC in this case. 720p at 29.97fps?

John

Last edited by John Peterson; February 13th, 2009 at 07:07 AM.
John Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2009, 05:20 PM   #22
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Peterson View Post
Forgive me if I have missed something, but would anyone be watching HD material on a crt tv.
=================

Sure. In many homes all over the world. For now anyway.

John
I'm skeptical. I know one person -- and he got his cheap a few years ago because the local dealer was phasing them out. The big US retailers sure don't stock them.

You can buy a NEC crt projector in perfect shape for $500 -- a projector that sold for $35,000 new.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2009, 06:53 AM   #23
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Luce View Post
I'm skeptical. I know one person -- and he got his cheap a few years ago because the local dealer was phasing them out. The big US retailers sure don't stock them.

You can buy a NEC crt projector in perfect shape for $500 -- a projector that sold for $35,000 new.
You are missing the point. It's not new sets I was referring to. Everyone didn't run out and buy a new LCD TV and throw out all their CRT TVs globally. I would bet that the stats (if they existed) would surprise you.

So does anyone have an answer for the second part of my post?
(I just corrected it)

So then what would be the best mode to shoot for best looking display of an SD DVD on BOTH CRT televisions and LCD televisions?
I am asking for NTSC in this case. 720p at 29.97fps?

John
John Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2009, 10:14 AM   #24
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric A Robinson View Post
There is a point made in the document that refers to possible 'twittering' on HD broadcast material if shot 25p and then viewed on a crt tv. Forgive me if I have missed something, but would anyone be watching HD material on a crt tv. Is it not the case that all HD displays are LCD or plasma and are therefore not affected by said problem.
Less likely to find a HD CRT domestically, but engineers prefer the HD CRT monitors. Given the option, I'd still take one on a shoot over a LCD as my monitor.

There are still loads of SD CRT televisions out there and I think they may still be still making them for the third world countries.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2009, 03:40 PM   #25
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Drysdale View Post
Less likely to find a HD CRT domestically, but engineers prefer the HD CRT monitors. Given the option, I'd still take one on a shoot over a LCD as my monitor.

There are still loads of SD CRT televisions out there and I think they may still be still making them for the third world countries.
Just from personal experience, I've had much better luck penetrating overseas markets. I've had content broadcast in 80 countries and by far the most common format requested is Beta Cam SP. #2 is Digi Beta. Now, as the global economy tanks, the idea of transition to HD will likely be shelved. Even high flying Dubai is burning down apparently -- foreign workers are abandoning their cars (keys left in the ignition) at the airport, getting on a plane and heading home. Unlike Dubai overseas workers, SD isn't going quietly in to the night.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds