Suggestions for DoF adapter lens choices at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old February 12th, 2009, 03:30 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Suggestions for DoF adapter lens choices

Hey all,

I know this is an impossible question to answer definitively since it is so broad and everyone has there opinion so here goes...

Can you suggest some lens choices to use with my Letus Elite DoF adapter for a basic, all-purpose camera package.

I've always used Canon lenses on my SLR, but alot of you like the Nikons for video work.

Can I use SLR lenses on the DoF adapter? Should I try and find some relatively inexpensive lenses on EBay and experiment?

Any thoughts, suggestions, or pointers to further reading would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Micheal
Micheal McAlexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2009, 03:47 PM   #2
Trustee

We purchased used Nikon lenses used from KEH. KEH Camera: Used Cameras, Digital Cameras, Film Cameras, Laptop Computers and More.

We purchased:
17-35mm f/2.8
50mm f/1.4
80-200mm f/2.8

In the future we'd also like to buy:
28mm f/1.4 (let's in more light than our 2.8)
85mm f/1.4 (let's in more light that our 2.8)

If you're on a budget, I'd start with the 50mm f/1.4. You can do a lot with that lens. Then maybe around an 85mm. But try to make sure you get low f-stops (f/2.8 or lower). Using a 35mm adaptor kills a fair amount of light so you want a "fast" lens to let in as much light as possible. Unfortunatly though, "fast" lenses are expensive. (fast is a term used to describe lenses with lower than normal f-stops).

This is a fantastic website to research lenses. Take a couple of hours and look through it.

KenRockwell.com
Old February 12th, 2009, 03:51 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchell Lewis View Post
We purchased used Nikon lenses used from KEH. KEH Camera: Used Cameras, Digital Cameras, Film Cameras, Laptop Computers and More.

We purchased:
17-35mm f/2.8
50mm f/1.4
80-200mm f/2.8

In the future we'd also like to buy:
28mm f/1.4 (let's in more light than our 2.8)
85mm f/1.4 (let's in more light that our 2.8)

If you're on a budget, I'd start with the 50mm f/1.4. You can do a lot with that lens. Then maybe around an 85mm. But try to make sure you get low f-stops (f/2.8 or lower). Using a 35mm adaptor kills a fair amount of light so you want a "fast" lens to let in as much light as possible. Unfortunatly though, "fast" lenses are expensive. (fast is a term used to describe lenses with lower than normal f-stops).

This is a fantastic website to research lenses. Take a couple of hours and look through it.

KenRockwell.com
Cool... thanks... I'll look into it... did you have any problems with the used lenses?
Micheal McAlexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2009, 04:00 PM   #4
Trustee

Nope. They come with a "14 day no questions asked" warranty. So we checked them out throughly the day we got them. But they have worked fine ever since. We splurged and bought lenses in the EX category of their website. We thought about buying in the Bargain category but chickened out at the last minute. :)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds