Can the EX3 downconvert via Firewire? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old February 13th, 2009, 10:48 PM   #1
Major Player

Can the EX3 downconvert via Firewire?

We have been considering investing in the Z5U and upgrading to XDCAM next year but the more I look at the EX3 the less I feel inclined to invest in the Z5U. We do have one client that we shoot immediate turnaround auto-play DVDs for. In order to do this, we set the FW out to downconvert to SD and use a DVD deck recorder with FW in. Can the EX3 downconvert on the camera via the FW out? I know it records HD only but I can't find any info that says whether this cam offers downconvert on the FW out (like most of the SONY HDV line offer.) Any EX3 users know the answer or of a DVD-r deck that will convert HD via FW to DV on the fly? Thanks!

Last edited by Bryan Daugherty; February 14th, 2009 at 12:03 AM.
Bryan Daugherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2009, 11:01 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Firewire out is HDV only.

You can do SD via the A/V out, or the component out. There is a cable assembly that allows you to do s-video from the A/V out.
Old February 13th, 2009, 11:37 PM   #3
Major Player

Perrone, my friend I should have thought of you first and just PM'd but in case anyone is curious in the future the thread will be here. Have you used this feature before? What is the result like?
Old February 13th, 2009, 11:40 PM   #4
Regular Crew

you can use the clip browser to convert to SD

I believe the Clip Browser Version 2.0 has the ability to convert your footage into DV. Probably faster than down converting over the fire wire, which you cannot do on the EX3 unless you want HDV.
Glynn Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2009, 12:00 AM   #5
Major Player

Thanks Glynn, but we would need to record the SD version Live and in Realtime. Direct to DVD no computer no NLE. We would still record to the SxS and archive for people who might want to order an edited piece but the SD DVDs have to be recorded live for immediate delivery. I think the breakout cable Perrone mentioned would work for this as our recorder will take s-video in as well. But what is the quality like using the breakout cable? Can you specify letterbox, zoom or any other options via the breakout cable? Other than being SD vs. HD does it give pretty good results on the breakout cable? Below is what I am considering in case I wasn't clear.
Attached Thumbnails
Can the EX3 downconvert via Firewire?-ex3_live_sd_record.jpg  

Last edited by Bryan Daugherty; February 14th, 2009 at 12:48 AM.
Bryan Daugherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2009, 01:00 AM   #6
Major Player

I just found Chris Hurd's thread that has the manual and found that you can set the video out on the s-video to squeeze, letterbox, crop so that answers that question. Thanks
for others that might need this info, the thread is here.
XDCAM EX series brochures and operator manual downloads - The Digital Video Information Network
Old February 14th, 2009, 05:43 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Daugherty View Post
I just found Chris Hurd's thread that has the manual and found that you can set the video out on the s-video to squeeze, letterbox, crop so that answers that question. Thanks
for others that might need this info, the thread is here.
XDCAM EX series brochures and operator manual downloads - The Digital Video Information Network
The only problem with that is the SD signal out from both composite and S-Video are not good at all, so DVDs from those outputs will not turn out terribly well. No experience with component out though.

Sorry for the not terribly encouraging news but the EX cameras are pretty much HD cameras and are marketed as such.
Old February 14th, 2009, 09:30 AM   #8
Trustee

An expensive solution is to put an AJA Io HD into the mix. You take the HD-SDI output from the EX3 and connect it to one of the HD-SDI inputs on the Io HD. You can then select (via a nice software interface) to down-convert SD (525i 29.97fps) and whether you want to Letterbox or Edge Crop the HD footage. It does this in real time. Just connect your DVD recorder to the S-video or composite output from the Io HD and you're all set (you can also connect audio if you want) Quality is great!

The only issue is that you need to make sure your shooting 1080 60i, as you will be down converting to 525i. The Io HD won't let you go from progressive to interlaced. (actually it will, but the quality isn't quite as good)

I thought I'd suggest this solution as many people need an editing system along with their camera and the AHA Io HD is a popular choice to build a system around.
Old February 14th, 2009, 12:17 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Issko View Post
The only problem with that is the SD signal out from both composite and S-Video are not good at all, so DVDs from those outputs will not turn out terribly well. No experience with component out though.

Sorry for the not terribly encouraging news but the EX cameras are pretty much HD cameras and are marketed as such.
Yes, we are considering investing in the EX3 mainly for our other jobs that will have all the usual bells and whistles and normal workflow but we also do some competition DVDs that have to be delivered on the same day. To accommodate this, we deliver autoplay discs with no editing outside the camera. No editing or NLE time available. We are talking about delivery of 400-600 dvds of 300-350 different performances same day. In the past, we would just hook up our XL2/PD170/or HD1000U via FW into the front of the burner decks and burn a master on the spot in realtime and hand it off to our assistant to make 2-4 copies in a tower duplicator and case them. The Z5U (in theory) would be able to do the same as our HD1000U but at a better quality. Ideally we would use the s-video out on the EX3 to do the same. The decks we use have FW, S-video, and composite (RCA) inputs but no component in. So what are the issues when you go s-video out? Obviously it would degrade some because it is going from 1080i to 480i but is the footage coming out as good as what you would see from another pro-prosumer SD cam?

We are PC based so I don't think the AJA I/O HD would be supported and we aren't going to be doing any editing on this particular project. 95% (or more) of the time we would be using the EX3 the way it is intended (HD acquisition and editing downconverting in software to DVD for delivery as needed with HD archive) but this is the one exception we would have to plan for.

I am really falling in love with this camera but I need to figure out if it can do this job too as we need a solution that meets our goals for all established clients and enables us to expand our client base too. And while we only do this type of work (Same day direct to DVD) 4-8 times yr it is a big part of our lead generation and a decent profit generator too.
Old February 14th, 2009, 12:21 PM   #10
Major Player

I know this is a lot to ask...

...but if anyone has the time and curiosity, would anyone have time/equipment to do a test clip? Maybe connect an SD cam (or deck) in VCR mode to the s-vid out of the EX3 and record a short clip to the SxS and SD cam, import and downconvert SxS capture to 480i and upload the comparison footage? It would really help me figure this one out. I am a visual person. If not, then I completely understand we are just so far from an authorized dealer it makes it hard to demo these things... If someone is willing to do it then i owe you big time!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds