Sony EX-3: New member needs help:ungrade at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old February 20th, 2009, 11:24 AM   #1
Major Player

Sony EX-3: New member needs help:ungrade

hello all...

My name is Bill Griffin and I am a new owner of a EX-3....and I have a few questions as I need help.

first, I heard that the EX-3 needs a firmware update, so I called Sony this week and talked to a Ian Cook, (800-883-6817,ext 252) and he did tell me that the camera has v 1.02_0078 and it needs v. 1.04. Tech bulletin PMW 09-005.. as it address the marco focus problem.

BUT I asked him that I don't want the camera to "be nuked" in order to stop using SDHC cards, and he told me that " I am sure it would not and we know about those cards, all the upgrade does is to address the focus problem"...but was not sure.

Anybody had their EX-3 updated lately ?, results?

second....I have a shoot coming up and does anybody know how to use the Chip Bower
program as I want to transfer the video files to a external hard drive, so I can free up space as I will be using the clients cards. Is there a online tutorial out there for me to see?

sorry for the long post...thanks in advance

Bill Griffin
Dallas, Texas
Old February 20th, 2009, 01:51 PM   #2
Major Player

I have not updated my EX-3 to the latest firmware yet. So far as I know, it does not disable the SDHC card alternative. I'm going to be in NY in a couple of weeks and plan to drop off the camera at Sony in Teaneck, NJ for the update. Since it is a problem fix, there is no charge, unlike the EX-1 1.11 upgrade which was a "feature enhancement."

I would invest in Shotput or Shotput Pro to transfer card contents via a computer to external hard drive. It is fast, dependable and cheap.

Ned Soltz
Ned Soltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2009, 02:16 PM   #3
Major Player

Sony Clip Browser software (comes on the DVD with the camera, or can be downloaded for free) works great for transferring files to external hard drives. I know some people just drag and drop BPAV folders to copy to an external drive, but I think it's a general consensus the safest way is to use the Sony Clip Browser or Shotput apps.
It's VERY IMPORTANT that you never change the name of a BPAV folder in any way. (or the contents, for that matter) You need to create a new folder (which you can name whatever you want) to put each BPAV folder into when you download. I usually create a new folder for each card download, and name it with some designation which will help me remember and find what is in that particular BPAV folder quickly. Kind of like labeling tapes which I was never very good at anyway....
Some people here have mentioned that you can combine all the clips from several BPAV folders into one, but I don't know how that's done and actually prefer the organization of separate folders for each download.
If you don't create these new folders, each time you download a new card, your computer will tell you that the folder already exists, (from a previous card download) and will ask if you want to replace it. Of course, this would be a disaster, so hence the need for creating these new folders to park the BPAV folder into.
It's very quick and easy to make the transfers, and you can either create the new folder in advance, and designate that as the destination for the download, or you can just designate the external drive and once the BPAV folder has downloaded, drag it into the new folder.
I hope this makes sense. I'm sure there are other methods many have found works for them, but this is what I do.
It is also advisable to back up on two drives, if possible. External drives are incredibly cheap these days, (I just bought 4 LaCie 250GB Rugged drives for an upcoming shoot for about $95 each on Amazon). I just provide the media on the drives, and bill for them like I used to do with tape stock. If a client wants to bring their own drives, that's fine too.
Good luck, and enjoy your EX! I didn't know there was a firmware update, so thanks for that head's up.
Old February 21st, 2009, 02:18 AM   #4
Major Player

Clip Browser is very easy to use for file transfers. You must set up 2 important parameters in its preferences. First is to enable (tick on) CRC check after copy.

Second is to select which storage device you wish CB to transfer the files to. So when you change drives for instance, you need to set this up in prefs each time.

Select the SxS card (via camera or directly if you have inserted the card in a compatible laptop), watch the clip thumbnails come up. Verify it is correct then hit the "ALL" button to commence the transfer.

THe CB will prompt you with what is about to do, if iff all is OK, then press OK and off it goes. It labels the folder by date & time. Once transferred I just change the newly formed folders name to what I want and check the BPAV folder quickly and make a second transfer to another drive of the same recordings.

It really is very straight forward when following a few steps.

Best wishes
Old February 21st, 2009, 05:36 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned Soltz View Post
I have not updated my EX-3 to the latest firmware yet. So far as I know, it does not disable the SDHC card alternative. I'm going to be in NY in a couple of weeks and plan to drop off the camera at Sony in Teaneck, NJ for the update. Since it is a problem fix, there is no charge, unlike the EX-1 1.11 upgrade which was a "feature enhancement."

I would invest in Shotput or Shotput Pro to transfer card contents via a computer to external hard drive. It is fast, dependable and cheap.

Ned Soltz
Nick,

Please let me know if your camera is OK after the upgrade....

thanks

Bill Griffin
Dallas, Texas
Old February 21st, 2009, 08:52 PM   #6
Regular Crew

same here, my 2 New EX3 Cams have Firmware V1.02_0078

what are the problems one might have with having the older Firmware so i can check or keep an eye out.

Also how long would it take to upgrade to the Newest Version once dropped off at my Sony Dealer.

thx
Shawn Dooling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2009, 09:29 PM   #7
Major Player

Problem with EX-3 is loss of ability to use manual focus when Macro is switched on. Requires reboot of camera. I have personally not experienced the problem.

Upgrades on EX cameras are Sony depot only. That means Sony Canada, Sony Europe or Sony USA.

Good news, as I said, is that the upgrade is no charge.

Ned Soltz
Ned Soltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2009, 12:58 AM   #8
Regular Crew

I've upgraded my EX3 going on two weeks now and I no longer have the focus issue and I am using the the Kensington expresscard with the Trancend 16gig and 8gig cards and Sandisk ulta II 16 gig SDHC cards and works just as before. I would say it definately safe to upgrade but I believe the firmware is 1.03.... And is not 1.04
Joe Diaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2009, 01:11 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Diaz View Post
I've upgraded my EX3 going on two weeks now and I no longer have the focus issue and I am using the the Kensington expresscard with the Trancend 16gig and 8gig cards and Sandisk ulta II 16 gig SDHC cards and works just as before. I would say it definately safe to upgrade but I believe the firmware is 1.03.... And is not 1.04
Joe, did you get the upgrade in San Jose or LA?
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2009, 11:27 AM   #10
Regular Crew

I got the upgrade from San Jose, on Zanker rd, I walked in, dropped it off around noon
and i had it the next day at noon.
Joe Diaz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds