Strobing problem with EX3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old February 26th, 2009, 02:30 PM   #1
New Boot

Strobing problem with EX3

So I have been shooting with my EX3 for about a month, we were on location in Mexico shooting amazing surf footage off a jetski, both 1080/30P and 720/60@30 overcrank. Both looked amazing in the viewfinder, but when viewed both in XDcam TRansfer and in FCP some of the clips had vertical lines flickering in frame, they were transparent blue, hard too see until you sped the footage up. On some clips it is barely flickering, on other clips (like the reference below) it is extremely heavy. They would randomly come in and out, mostly at the beginning of the shot, then randomly just stop and the picture would be perfect again. Any ideas? I have never seen this before, but now that I look over some other footage I shot you can see the same problem in the out of focus background elements.Below is a link on Vimeo of one clip. It is pretty compressed but watch the flicker and how it stops.

My setting were: Shutter off, ND2, 5.6-8, framerates listed above.

http://vimeo.com/3383974

If anyone has any ideas or knows how I can avoid this please let me know. Thanks.

Nate Apffel
Corban Productions - Carlsbad, California
Nathan Apffel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2009, 03:12 PM   #2
Regular Crew

that video is marked private
Matt San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2009, 03:24 PM   #3
Trustee

I suppose it's because the video has "Blue" elements in it.
Old February 26th, 2009, 03:28 PM   #4
New Boot

Sorry guys, I just unlocked the video. You should be able to view it now. Thanks!
Nathan Apffel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2009, 03:32 PM   #5
Regular Crew

looks very much like the dreaded AUTO FLICKER REDUCTION - best to keep this off

even with strip lights u dont need it nowadays - especially on fast shutter speeds.

u might beable to reduce it with a flicker reduction filter in yr NLE (if it has one)
Matt San is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds