35mm adaptor or nikon adaptor for EX-3 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old March 8th, 2009, 11:42 AM   #16
Trustee

Just in case anyone is interested. I have just shot the moon with my 500mm Nikkor Reflex lens. This has a fixed aperture of f8 so I had to use the ND filter to reduce the exposure.

The biggest problem with this combination is actually trying to locate the moon, move the tripos a fraction and you will have panned several thousand miles in the sky. Also the moon moves very fast at this magnification.

I used ClipBrowser to export a single frame and then imported it into Photoshop to save it as a JPEG file. The original was shot using SP 1080 60i, I know this is not the ideal setting, should have used HQ 30p etc. I used Mike Tapas adaptor, but Steves one should work just the same.

I think in all reality a 300mm lens is about as much as you would want to use, after that you will have all sorts of problems with steadyness and finding your subject.

All good fun, here is the image

http://www.photo-i.co.uk/aa/moon.jpg

I will publish a full feature together with images/footage shot using the various Nikkor lenses.
Old March 8th, 2009, 11:48 AM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Oliver View Post
Just in case anyone is interested. I have just shot the moon with my 500mm Nikkor Reflex lens. This has a fixed aperture of f8 so I had to use the ND filter to reduce the exposure.

The biggest problem with this combination is actually trying to locate the moon, move the tripos a fraction and you will have panned several thousand miles in the sky. Also the moon moves very fast at this magnification.

I used ClipBrowser to export a single frame and then imported it into Photoshop to save it as a JPEG file. The original was shot using SP 1080 60i, I know this is not the ideal setting, should have used HQ 30p etc. I used Mike Tapas adaptor, but Steves one should work just the same.

I think in all reality a 300mm lens is about as much as you would want to use, after that you will have all sorts of problems with steadyness and finding your subject.

All good fun, here is the image

http://www.photo-i.co.uk/aa/moon.jpg
Very impressive Vincent. Lucky you can see the moon because down here in Dorset it's raining hard!

You wouldn't get shots like that with a 35mm adaptor, unless you had an extremely long lens.
Steve Shovlar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2009, 11:51 AM   #18
Trustee

It's been a lovely day here in London, the moon has just gone behind some trees, but it is still looking very impressive. I think we will have a full moon in two days time, so may do some more shots. I am very surprised how fast the moon goes through the frame when looking at it this close.
Old March 8th, 2009, 12:30 PM   #19
Trustee

Have just posted a second version of the moon, this time using HQ 30p and shot about 30 minutes after the first effort. The problem with using a fixed aperture lens is the lack of exposure control, I used the X8 ND filter, the X16 was too much. Straight import from ClipBrowser as a BMP and then converted to JPEG in Photoshop.

http://www.photo-i.co.uk/aa/moon2.jpg

Last edited by Vincent Oliver; March 8th, 2009 at 01:32 PM.
Vincent Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2009, 01:37 PM   #20
Major Player

That looks very good quite spectacular.

Last edited by Bruce Rawlings; March 8th, 2009 at 01:38 PM. Reason: Did read earlier post properly
Bruce Rawlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2009, 01:43 PM   #21
Major Player

Quote:
Have just posted a second version of the moon, this time using HQ 30p and shot about 30 minutes after the first effort. The problem with using a fixed aperture lens is the lack of exposure control, I used the X8 ND filter, the X16 was too much. Straight import from ClipBrowser as a BMP and then converted to JPEG in Photoshop.

Quite right Bruce. Spectacular. Looks like a painting.
Old March 14th, 2009, 10:02 AM   #22
Vortex Media

I ordered an Adaptimax at the beginning of the month, and it arrived earlier this week. I’ve only had a chance to go out and shoot a couple of times so far, but it is fantastic! I have nothing but good things to say about how my Nikkor lenses look on the EX3. They’re sharp from edge to edge, no chromatic aberration that I can see, and contrast looks as good as with the stock lens.

I shot a little with my 80-200 f/2.8, but the lens I like the best is my 300mm f/4. Having the equivalent of a 1650mm lens -- and still needing to use an ND filter-- is incredible. The angle of view is so tight that it’s like trying to aim a telescope at the moon. I almost need a spotting scope with cross hairs to get it lined up.

I’ll be making another trip to Yellowstone this year and the Adaptimax with my Nikon lenses is going to change everything. I can see that I’ll have to practice following seagulls here in my town so I’m ready when it counts.

All I can say is that if you have Nikon lenses and an EX3, this is the best accessory you can buy.

Hey Steve, my brother (who also owns an EX3) wants to know if you will be doing a Canon version anytime soon?
Doug Jensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2009, 12:51 PM   #23
Major Player

Hi Doug, glad it arrived OK and you have had some fun with it. Yes when I use a 300mm lens on the Adaptimax it gets remarkable results which were impossible with the stock lens.

I have been out shooting with it all day on the Jurrasic Coast, which is a World Heritage Site less than an hour from me in Swanage, Dorset, UK.

As for the Canon, it's coming, but the huge demand I have had for the Nikon version of the Adaptimax has kept me from getting it out. It will happen, but these things take a bit of time. I a sure he will hear about it when it's launched!

But if you have the time, try a macro ( or Nikons case, micro) lens on it and see what results you get.
Old March 14th, 2009, 02:30 PM   #24
Trustee

Just a throw away tip:

To assist focusing When using long lenses you could assign one of you custom buttons to become an Expanded Focus aid. I have set my Button 2 to this and found it useful, especially with the 500mm lens.

The Sony ND filters are built into the camera so you can use them with any Nikkor lens using Steve's or Mike's adaptor, useful for keeping a wide aperture on a sunny day.

Nikkor lenses from 85 upwards are the most useful, especially the 105mm F2.5 Nikkor (one the best lenses ever made). I would draw the line at a 300mm although you can use any focal length above that, but as Doug has also pointed out, it becomes difficult to find your subject. I tried a 500mm Nikkor with the moon and it took me ages to locate it.

I have also tried lenses down to 20mm, and these serve no useful purpose, with the exception of the 55mm Micro Nikkor.

Will post a video showing all the lenses in action very soon.
Old March 14th, 2009, 02:38 PM   #25
Vortex Media

Quote:
I have also tried lenses down to 20mm, and these serve no useful purpose,
I agree. I mounted my 17-35mm just to see how it worked. It worked fine, but what's the point? I don't have any Nikon macro lenses, maybe now I have an excuse to get one.

I was surprised how sharp the 300mm is. I was expecting it to me a little soft, but it certainly is not.
Doug Jensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2009, 04:03 AM   #26
Trustee

Despite the lenses being optimised for 35mm photography, they seem to be performing far better than I had first expected.

I would suggest if you see a good quality manual Nikkor then snap it up, they are at rock bottom prices, especially as nobody seems to want manual lenses these days.

Here is a short video that I put together with a Nikon adaptor

Sony EX3 Nikon mount
Old March 16th, 2009, 12:03 PM   #27
Major Player

Pardon my ignorance Vincent, but what are those things?

Way to put that MTF adapter to work brother. What lens did you use? I always prowl the used markets for Nikon lenses. Ran across the Nikon 80-400 vr the other day. Did some research on it. Seems like a great lens, only the AF is a little slow for shooting action/wildlife. People seem to be expecting Nikon to update this lens soon, which is perfect for us... I actually have a fixed 400mm 2.8 but I haven't worked out a way to get it mounted properly yet. The 300mm 2.8, yes, but not the monster. Needs big rails. However maybe the 80-400 wouldn't need so much support since it's f/4.5-5.6, and boy would it be great to be able to zoom through that range. On my HD200, 80mm was just about where the stock lens quit, which made the 80-200 such a great lens to start with. Can you imagine 80-400? Only draw back is it doesn't hold focus through it's zoom range - so no zooming in for focus, then zooming out to shoot. But EX3 users can change the zoom focus assist button in the menu settings to somewhere else and bang, we're in business again. That lens might be the silver bullet
Eric Gulbransen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2009, 12:12 PM   #28
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Gulbransen View Post
Pardon my ignorance Vincent, but what are those things?
I presume you are asking what are the things in the video?

It is the Thames Barrier, these are gates that close to stop London from flooding, should we have a tidal wave. It is a very spectacular construction, although my filming doesn't do it full justice, I just needed distance for my test.
Old March 16th, 2009, 02:06 PM   #29
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Jensen View Post
I ordered an Adaptimax at the beginning of the month, and it arrived earlier this week. I’ve only had a chance to go out and shoot a couple of times so far, but it is fantastic! I have nothing but good things to say about how my Nikkor lenses look on the EX3. They’re sharp from edge to edge, no chromatic aberration that I can see, and contrast looks as good as with the stock lens.

I shot a little with my 80-200 f/2.8, but the lens I like the best is my 300mm f/4. Having the equivalent of a 1650mm lens -- and still needing to use an ND filter-- is incredible. The angle of view is so tight that it’s like trying to aim a telescope at the moon. I almost need a spotting scope with cross hairs to get it lined up.
My Adaptimax also arrived last week, and today was the first chance I had to use it. The results are absolutely spectacular! Finally a use for the many prime Nikkor manual lens I already own! But I also was amazed at the results from the zoom lens too. I have an 80-135 f3.5 that is sharp as a tack. I didn't expect any of these to do so well. Sharp from edge to edge, just beautiful images. My 80-200 f/2.8 is also spectacular. In fact, that lens is better on the EX3 than I ever recall it on a still camera. The only down side is that you must have a steady hand (and heavy duty sticks). But the results are spectacular!

The Adaptimax is a well crafted adapter. Everything fits perfectly. I also love the lens release lever, it's simple to use and easy to find. Plus it looks great on the camera in red (and matches my Zacuto plate). This piece of gear gives the single most bang for your buck to the EX3! I love mine. Thanks Steve! A great addition to my kit.

Anyone wanting more info should check out Sony PMW EX3 Nikon Adaptor.

Last edited by Steve Cilurzo; March 16th, 2009 at 02:57 PM.
Steve Cilurzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2009, 04:16 PM   #30
Major Player

Hey "Steve Cilurzo" exactly what "still camera" were you using with your 80-200 f/2.8 that produced images beneath that of your EX3?
Eric Gulbransen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds