MxR- Convert clips to MXF at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old March 15th, 2009, 03:10 AM   #1
Regular Crew

MxR- Convert clips to MXF

sorry i can't find this in the form but how do i "Convert clips to MXF" to get them into my avid MC3 that i have recorded onto my MxR
aloha
tito
Tito Haggardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2009, 03:17 AM   #2
New Boot

Use Sony Clip Browser

You can't record native MXF with XDCAM EX (You can with XDCAM), so you'll have to transfer your EX vision out from Clip browser as MXF and import them into AVID. It doesn't matter if you're using SxS or SDHC, you have to "unwrap" your media. There's a few threads on this if you want to search out more info.
Fletcher Yeung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2009, 03:18 AM   #3
Major Player

Export for NLE in Clipbrowser. Import into MC3.0 or use AMA folder feature in MC3.5
Ronn Kilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2009, 02:26 PM   #4
Regular Crew

my problem is with converting the SanDisk files

thank you for your replies.
my clip browser works well with the SxS card but not at all with the MxR recorded to SanDisk.
i need to know how to convert these files from the SanDisk to MXF so my avid will recognize them.
when i up grade to MC3.5 i think the problem will be solved but i need a solution in the interim.
all the work flows addressing this matter that i have found on the form have a "step three" that says "convert the files to MFX".
the how to convert without the clip browser is my problem.
again thanks for your help
aloha
tito
Old March 15th, 2009, 02:41 PM   #5
Major Player

Tito, why not copy the BPAV folder from the sandisk card to an SxS card and then convert to mxf from the SxS in ClipBrowser?

I have never had a problem with clipbrowser reading sandisk cards (or a valid BPAV folder on any hard drive. Are you using the latest version of clipbrowser (or at least 2.0)?
Ronn Kilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2009, 03:40 PM   #6
Regular Crew

hard drive to SxS

i tried to copy the files from my external hard drive to my 8 gig SxS last night, but it failed.
i don't know if it was the browser but i will check on that.
what i would like to do is get a flow that took the browser out of the loop.
i can view my back up files with VLC so i know they are OK.
i want to take the those files and convert them to a file my avid will recognize.
again, thanks for your attention
aloha
tito
Old March 15th, 2009, 10:16 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Please respond when people ask for information. Update ClipBrowser to at least 2.0 but ideally 2.5.

There is NOTHING wrong with the way ClipBrowser works with Sandisk as I've been doing it for MONTHS.
Attached Thumbnails
MxR- Convert clips to MXF-mxffornle.jpg  
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2009, 11:57 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Seeman View Post
Update ClipBrowser to at least 2.0 but ideally 2.5.
I cannot find v2.5 -- is that correct?
Serena Steuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2009, 12:37 AM   #9
New Boot

Yes, see post by Alister Chapman.
Clip Browser V 2.5
There are links for UK, US and Canadian sites.
Malcolm
Malcolm Dyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2009, 12:56 AM   #10
Major Player

Thanks. For some reason I couldn't locate it on the UK Sony site, but got it from Canada.
Serena Steuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2009, 03:36 AM   #11
Trustee

Perhaps Tito's problem is that he's trying to read the SDHC cards inside the MxR adaptor using the Sony Card Reader?

If so I believe that does not work at all, he needs a SDHC card reader, which is incredibly cheap.
Bob Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2009, 08:46 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Bob, I wish Tito would explain his problem so we could do more than guess. He seems reluctant. Ronn asked about ClipBrowser version and he didn't answer so I guess and mentioned versions and included screenshot.
Old March 16th, 2009, 02:30 PM   #13
Regular Crew

aloha
sorry if i seemed reluctant, i can assure you I am not. I am however not very knowledgeable. there is also a time difference between the rest of the world and Hawaii that may have contributed to my slow response.

my clip browser version is 2.0

i shot an event with my MxR reader onto a 16 gig SanDisk Ultra II
i transfered that file, with an "incredible cheap SDHC card reader" to an external hard drive.
when i arrived home and wanted to edit the file i attempted to put the files into my avid MCv3.0

it is my understanding that with the 3.5 upgrade it may be possible to drag and drop these files into MC bins. please correct me if i am wrong.

my clip browser came with no manual or instructions and i have not found any good tutorial on using it. it might be such a simple straight forward interface that anyone but myself can figure out exactly how it works. i am getting a better idea of how to use it with practice. perhaps all of my difficulties are a result of my poor browser skills.

unable to read the files from my external harddrive with my browser i then tried to copy them to a SxS card using the browser not the camera. i copied the less than 16 gig files onto 2 SxS cards. the transfer was interrupted and i was prompted to change card when the first was full. these files on the SxS cards were not recognized by my browser.

i followed Ola Christoffersson advice
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/sony-xdca...clips-mxf.html
as far as i could but failed at "3. Convert clips to MXF"
i looked into converters, some were pricey and some seemed suited more for audio projects.

i was finally able to get my files into the Avid using a workflow i found on this posting
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/sony-xdca...es-solved.html

i am sure this is not the best way to get files onto my Avid but last night it worked, thank you, David W Williamson.

i would appreciate any directions to simpler solutions for using files created with my MxR reader. i hope that i have explained my problem and the PC hard and software i used to create it.

thanks again
tito
Old March 16th, 2009, 03:24 PM   #14
Inner Circle

Tito,
Did you look at my screenshot? Again I'm confused since you don't seem to respond to some of the things people are posting.

Simply make sure you have the folder with the BPAV selected as I do in the screenshot. Select the Clip. File/Export/MXF for NLEs.

Sony does a HORRID job in that they do NOT include the ClipBrowser PDF Manual with 2.0. It can be found if you're a detective though. It is included with 2.5 though. Go to the thread in this forum for ClipBrowser 2.5 software.

I'd upload and link the manual but unfortunately there seems to be an issue with the forum. The manual is only 3MB.
Old March 16th, 2009, 04:19 PM   #15
Regular Crew

thanks Craig
sorry i did not mention but i am using the "File/Export/MXF for NLEs"
i found a download for clip browser v2.5 and have it copied to CD to install later on my editing machine. i have also located a PDF manual (85 pages) for v2.5 but i could never retrace the steps i danced to find it. the up side to all this is i am beginning to understand a bit of how the BPAV folder is structured, again a very vague understanding but ....no knowledge is wasted.
i look forward to your continued input
aloha
tito
Tito Haggardt is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds