DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Vortex Media's Timelapse Calculator (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/145031-vortex-medias-timelapse-calculator.html)

Doug Jensen March 3rd, 2009 04:32 PM

Vortex Media's Timelapse Calculator

For a couple of years I've been wanting a timelapse calculator that I can access from my Blackberry when I'm out shooting. I couldn't find anything online except for confusing charts so I fianlly decided to build my own.

Here it is: Vortex Media's XDCAM Time Lapse Calculator

Just to warn you, it might look tiny on your computer screen, but from a Blackberry or iPHONE it should be close to the right size. iPHONE users will need to zoom in a little, I think. I don't have an iPHONE myself.

It is a work in-progress so any feedback or suggestions are welcome. Please don't suggest that I turn it into an iPHONE app because I have no interest in going through that learning curve or getting an iPHONE. It works great on my Blackberry, so I have achived my one and only goal already.

I hope you find it as useful as I will.

Phil Bloom March 3rd, 2009 05:20 PM

Timelapse calculator for iphone and blackberry

Those clever chaps have written a simple code to help you work out how long you need to shoot timelapse for, great for iphones and blackberrys.

Read more here: Philip Bloom Blog Archive Timelapse calculator, great for iphone or blackberry

Mitchell Lewis March 3rd, 2009 06:07 PM

That's kind of cool. It's a web app, which means you have to be connected to the internet to use it. I thought it would be an actual iPhone app. Still pretty cool though.

I wonder if there's a way he could incorporate both pages into one page? Doug?

Mitchell Lewis March 3rd, 2009 06:11 PM

Oops! I didn't see this thread. I responded to Philip Bloom's thread on the same topic.

Great job. Thanks Doug! (I'll be using it on my iPhone for sure)

Chris Hurd March 3rd, 2009 06:21 PM

Duplicate threads merged... thanks,

Phil Bloom March 3rd, 2009 07:17 PM

any brainy chaps here who know how to code for the iphone to make the vortex app work offline? Especially handy for those fellas like me who travel a lot and don't like roaming charges.

Steve Cilurzo March 3rd, 2009 11:12 PM

Well I used the "Add to Home Screen" function on my iPhone, so I have a one touch Icon to take me there. It looks just like an app... and is the next best thing. It gives me one touch access to the web page calculator. Another great useful resource... thanks again Doug!

Ivan Snoeckx March 4th, 2009 04:18 AM

Great job Doug! Where do you get all those wonderful ideas? :-)

Doug Jensen March 4th, 2009 06:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ivan Snoeckx (Post 1021979)
Great job Doug! Where do you get all those wonderful ideas? :-)

Hi Ivan,

I wouldn't say that I have wonderful ideas, I just see a need for something and then try to fill it. What's the saying, "necessity is the mother of invention"? That's the case with me. I figure that if I have a need for something, so will other people in the same situation. Everything Vortex Media makes is something that I would use if it was offered by someone else. FYI, you don't see the half-finished failures that got abandoned before they went public!

Doug

Michael B. McGee March 4th, 2009 08:22 AM

Thanks Doug,
I tried looking for this type of tool on another forum and got ridiculed. apparently, the Steele Chart sponsors that particular forum.

Doug Jensen March 4th, 2009 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael B. McGee (Post 1022055)
Thanks Doug,
I tried looking for this type of tool on another forum and got ridiculed. apparently, the Steele Chart sponsors that particular forum.

Well, go back and tell them you found the answer to all your dreams!
Doug

Ted OMalley March 4th, 2009 01:25 PM

I'm glad it's a web app, but the form submission portion broke on my cell phone with a browser. I can adjust the selections, but upon clicking "calculate" I get a "Thank you for submitting the form" and then clicking "back" takes me to a folder tree view of everything on the vortex media site, including folders for aegis, cgi-bin, imanager, includes, etc.

Hopefully, this can get squared away and it will work on any cell phone!