Vortex Media's Timelapse Calculator at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old March 3rd, 2009, 04:32 PM   #1
Vortex Media

Vortex Media's Timelapse Calculator

For a couple of years I've been wanting a timelapse calculator that I can access from my Blackberry when I'm out shooting. I couldn't find anything online except for confusing charts so I fianlly decided to build my own.

Here it is: Vortex Media's XDCAM Time Lapse Calculator

Just to warn you, it might look tiny on your computer screen, but from a Blackberry or iPHONE it should be close to the right size. iPHONE users will need to zoom in a little, I think. I don't have an iPHONE myself.

It is a work in-progress so any feedback or suggestions are welcome. Please don't suggest that I turn it into an iPHONE app because I have no interest in going through that learning curve or getting an iPHONE. It works great on my Blackberry, so I have achived my one and only goal already.

I hope you find it as useful as I will.
Doug Jensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2009, 05:20 PM   #2
Trustee

Timelapse calculator for iphone and blackberry

Those clever chaps have written a simple code to help you work out how long you need to shoot timelapse for, great for iphones and blackberrys.

Read more here: Philip Bloom Blog Archive Timelapse calculator, great for iphone or blackberry
Old March 3rd, 2009, 06:07 PM   #3
Trustee

That's kind of cool. It's a web app, which means you have to be connected to the internet to use it. I thought it would be an actual iPhone app. Still pretty cool though.

I wonder if there's a way he could incorporate both pages into one page? Doug?
Old March 3rd, 2009, 06:11 PM   #4
Trustee

Oops! I didn't see this thread. I responded to Philip Bloom's thread on the same topic.

Great job. Thanks Doug! (I'll be using it on my iPhone for sure)
Old March 3rd, 2009, 06:21 PM   #5
Obstreperous Rex

Duplicate threads merged... thanks,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2009, 07:17 PM   #6
Trustee

any brainy chaps here who know how to code for the iphone to make the vortex app work offline? Especially handy for those fellas like me who travel a lot and don't like roaming charges.
Old March 3rd, 2009, 11:12 PM   #7
New Boot

Well I used the "Add to Home Screen" function on my iPhone, so I have a one touch Icon to take me there. It looks just like an app... and is the next best thing. It gives me one touch access to the web page calculator. Another great useful resource... thanks again Doug!
Steve Cilurzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2009, 04:18 AM   #8
Major Player

Great job Doug! Where do you get all those wonderful ideas? :-)
Ivan Snoeckx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2009, 06:11 AM   #9
Vortex Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Snoeckx View Post
Great job Doug! Where do you get all those wonderful ideas? :-)
Hi Ivan,

I wouldn't say that I have wonderful ideas, I just see a need for something and then try to fill it. What's the saying, "necessity is the mother of invention"? That's the case with me. I figure that if I have a need for something, so will other people in the same situation. Everything Vortex Media makes is something that I would use if it was offered by someone else. FYI, you don't see the half-finished failures that got abandoned before they went public!

Doug
Old March 4th, 2009, 08:22 AM   #10
Major Player

Thanks Doug,
I tried looking for this type of tool on another forum and got ridiculed. apparently, the Steele Chart sponsors that particular forum.
Michael B. McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2009, 09:32 AM   #11
Vortex Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael B. McGee View Post
Thanks Doug,
I tried looking for this type of tool on another forum and got ridiculed. apparently, the Steele Chart sponsors that particular forum.
Well, go back and tell them you found the answer to all your dreams!
Doug
Old March 4th, 2009, 01:25 PM   #12
Major Player

I'm glad it's a web app, but the form submission portion broke on my cell phone with a browser. I can adjust the selections, but upon clicking "calculate" I get a "Thank you for submitting the form" and then clicking "back" takes me to a folder tree view of everything on the vortex media site, including folders for aegis, cgi-bin, imanager, includes, etc.

Hopefully, this can get squared away and it will work on any cell phone!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds