timelapse exposure at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old March 4th, 2009, 04:00 PM   #1
Major Player

timelapse exposure

I am doing a full day timelapse in AK, its gonna span from twilight to dusk, whats the best way to set up exposure? I think auto would be ideal, but if the clouds roll through every few hours, I will be dealing with a strobing effect that will look bad. should I just pick a level and leave it?
Ian Planchon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2009, 05:09 PM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Planchon View Post
I am doing a full day timelapse in AK, its gonna span from twilight to dusk, whats the best way to set up exposure? I think auto would be ideal, but if the clouds roll through every few hours, I will be dealing with a strobing effect that will look bad. should I just pick a level and leave it?
What I would try is auto for dawn, then once the sun has risen, put it to manual but check every half hour or so that exposure is OK. Then back to auto just before sunset. I guess you will need ND2 during the day but depending what point you want all to be black, you may need to switch the filter in in the morning and out in the evening.

I would also want a reserve day or 2 in case this didn't work.
Nick Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2009, 05:54 PM   #3
Major Player

I'm guessing he ain't gonna have a second chance. You're planning on it before you hit the trail or are you already out there?

Yes, it probably will strobe a bit but you'll have something. Heck, Jackie's camera is auto iris and no one seems to mind the strobing...

Have you seen this? YouTube - Foraker Hunter and McKinley I'm pretty sure this was on auto iris. In post, I faded in and out (as well as selectively sped up and deleted sections).
Old March 4th, 2009, 06:18 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Tejral View Post
I'm guessing he ain't gonna have a second chance. You're planning on it before you hit the trail or are you already out there?

Yes, it probably will strobe a bit but you'll have something. Heck, Jackie's camera is auto iris and no one seems to mind the strobing...

Have you seen this? YouTube - Foraker Hunter and McKinley I'm pretty sure this was on auto iris. In post, I faded in and out (as well as selectively sped up and deleted sections).
yeah, no second chance, we are timelapsing the setup and start of the race, then once again as we pack up the plane I guess. I am still trying to figure out a way to get a timelapse from IN the plane as we fly to mcgrath.

I might try a few test timelapses of the skyline tomorrow and see how it goes.
Ian Planchon is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds