DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   The thing I dislike MOST about my EX1... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/145325-thing-i-dislike-most-about-my-ex1.html)

Peter Mee March 7th, 2009 03:35 PM

The thing I dislike MOST about my EX1...

For me, it's the way the LCD is off level. When I flip it out, it is angled downwards somewhat. Despite my tripod being absolutly level, the image can look off level and I often find myself hunting for horizontal or vertical lines in shot to check my sanity.

Is it just my cam or is this common?

Peter

Mal Williams March 7th, 2009 03:46 PM

Yep, I feel your pain bud - my EX1 does the same thing. Sometimes it's a small comfort to have the on screen markers up just to check you're square. My old Z1P is the same too - you think I'd be used to it by now. There doesn't seem to be any remedy except to use a Hoodpro type arrangement so you can't see the rest of the camera when you're shooting!
Cheers Mal

John Peterson March 8th, 2009 08:01 AM

For me that flimsy little mind bogglingly retarded camera - off - media power switch tops the list.

John

James Huenergardt March 8th, 2009 08:28 AM

White balance button placement and not being able to snap zoom in servo mode.

Michael B. McGee March 8th, 2009 09:23 AM

I'm disappointed at the lack of knowing exactly where your focus is at on the LCD. The DoF bar is nice i guess but if you start on a wide shot and zoom in you could be off by 10 feet or even more.

Erik Phairas March 8th, 2009 11:41 AM

I would like a switch that disables all but the record and zoom button. Moving the camera around I have hit buttons by mistake.

John Hedgecoe March 8th, 2009 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erik Phairas (Post 1024358)
I would like a switch that disables all but the record and zoom button. Moving the camera around I have hit buttons by mistake.

Now THAT would be useful. I have also done the same thing, especially the $#@%$ buttons under the handle.

But for me the worst thing about the EX1 is the ergonomics. The power button comes a very close second.

Craig Seeman March 8th, 2009 11:57 AM

Not have a pre record cache. I do lots of "news" style shoots and I often have to leave the camera running for long periods since subjects tend to arrive late.

Dean Sensui March 8th, 2009 01:47 PM

I second Craig's point!

Tom Hardwick March 8th, 2009 02:54 PM

When the Z1's screen was so good and matt, why did they have to make the EX1's screen hi-gloss? In direct sunlight you see the Z1's image, but I have to move my head about with the EX1 to get rid of all those fringe pattern colours (or whatever they are). OK, it's a lot sharper than the Z1's screen.... so I'll shut up.

tom.

Vito DeFilippo March 8th, 2009 03:23 PM

The thing I hate most about the EX1 is not having one so I could have something to complain about...

Andy Nickless March 8th, 2009 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craig Seeman (Post 1024368)
Not have a pre record cache.

I changed to the EX1 from a Panny HVX200 and the pre-record buffer is the feature I miss most of all. (In fact there aren't many other features of the HVX that I miss at all).

C.S. Michael March 8th, 2009 09:58 PM

This feels a little like complaining about Giselle Bundchen's elbows, but... the EX1 remote is pretty bad. My HV20 remote works much better.

Bob Hart March 8th, 2009 10:22 PM

The thing I miss about the EX1 is not having a F35. But for the time being (likely forever), it will do nicely until the cargo plane comes home and brings the good thing for the people.

I think it is a fair deal for the the price/results. With a very compact form, not everyone can be pleased. I'm not so unhappy about the sliding switch. It is an improvement over the little press and twist affair holdover from the handycams on the ZI/FX1/PD150.

They had to make the call between it sticking too far out into the line of fire or being less obtrusive and therefore protected. (Cut the booger nail longer on the pinky finger and the thumbnail longer to dig into the channel it slides in and you will be fine after a bit of practice).

An "all disable" switch would be fine but for mugs like me or learners under pressure to get a one-off event job done, it would add one more layer of possible confusion at the worst possible time. To implement this function now after the design has been locked off might mean it has to be menu based, possibly to a user assign button.

Andy Nickless March 9th, 2009 01:12 AM

OK - I'm going to cheat (and rant) a little.

Here's another thing I dislike most about the EX1 - in fact, about every video camera I've owned to date (I can't afford those interchangeable lenses and for my work I need a small camera anyway).

Sony along with all the other manufacturers fit lenses that have f-stop (iris) settings from about f1.9 to f16.

But these lenses are UNUSABLE from f8 to f16.
If you inadvertently set your iris to anything over f6.7, the image is soft to say the least.

So WHY do they all do this?
(What's the point - apart from conning the poor buyer / operator)?