DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Anyone know what this image is suffering from? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/145768-anyone-know-what-image-suffering.html)

John Peterson March 14th, 2009 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vincent Oliver (Post 1027486)
John,

The oversaturated red will show up as a "bleeding", you may have noticed this on some poorly set up TV sets, or if you use an out of gamut red on a text caption.

Downconverting footage from the EX3 has also been a headache for me. At present I am using ClipBrowser to output to an AVI (720 x480) and then bringing it in on a NTSC timeline (my project is in NTSC, normally I would use PAL). This has produced very acceptable results, although not as good as I had hoped for from the EX3. I will continue to experiment after I have completed this DVD project.

The Chromatic aberations shows up as a green and purple edge to the edges of objects in your footage. Look at the bottom edge of the bar that runs accross the girls dress. or go to the left edge of the frame and see the book - object edges. Given that this is an elargement from a section, I wouldn't worry too much about this.

Well that's a relief Vincent. With a camera that has this many adjustments and shooting options it seems difficult to assess when something is working right or not working right. Thank God for forums like this one with so many helpful and sincere people. I know I truly appreciate it.

John

John Peterson March 14th, 2009 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Olof Ekbergh (Post 1027499)
Shoot 720 60p it is beautiful, and easily converted to 525 60i or 525 30p, or even 24p.

If you shoot 30p it will work well in a 60i timeline just interpret as i.

I use Macs, mostly M100 but also FCP. I have never had a problem down-converting in software. I can give more specific details if you need them, but my experience is only on Macs.

I used to climb in the White Mountains when I was younger Olof. I love that place.
Thanks for the suggestion.

John

John Peterson March 14th, 2009 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Les Wilson (Post 1027458)
I see what you are talking about. It's a 1/2" horizontal orange/purple/black band midway between her left elbow and the purple furniture. I had to blow it up to see it at first. The artifact looks like its from another part of the frame (from her costume) but it doesn't match the current frame so it could be from a prior frame that did not get updated. It reminds me of the effect of dirty/misaligned heads. Do you see it when you play the footage from the camera on a monitor and bypass your NLE?

BTW, is that from Rogers and Hammerstein's Cinderella?

It was Beauty and the Beast. The "Wardrobe" is on the right of the "Belle" and the bed with it's back turned. Belle has not yet noticed the wardrobe character. But you can see her in the shots in the next post.
Great show to shoot. Lots of color.

John.

John Peterson March 14th, 2009 04:41 PM

The .png in the original post was done like this:

1. Export original to .avi from Clip Browser
2. Convert to Raw DV using Procoder 3
3. Place on Vegas timeline and apply heavy sharpening in Vegas because it looked way to soft. Much softer than the footage shot with the VX2000.

Note: Exporting to AVI with Clip Browser and trying to put it directly on the Vegas timeline doesn't work because Vegas won't accept the file.

Here is another one:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y40...ech/Image2.png

This frame grab from the timeline was done as follows:

1. Export original to Raw DV using Clip Browser
2. Place on Vegas timeline
3. No effects applied

Here is another one:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y40...ech/Image3.png

This one was done the same as the previous one except that heavy sharpening effect was applied the same way I did in the "original post".

I think you can see the problem of the horizontal bands (interlacing artifacts, color fringing, or whatever you call it)on the bed pillow. I think you can see it more clearly now.

What do you think?

John

Brian Luce March 14th, 2009 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Olof Ekbergh (Post 1027499)
Shoot 720 60p it is beautiful, and easily converted to 525 60i or 525 30p, or even 24p.

Would 720 60p be the best format for content intended for SD distribution throughout PAL and NTSC land? In other words, is it the most adaptable?

Olof Ekbergh March 15th, 2009 08:44 AM

The most adaptable is 24p. And we are all used to seeing it, just remember the 7 second rule (anything moving across the screen should take at least 7 seconds, this applies to pans as well) or you will have a lot of jitter. All rules are made to be broken!

60p or 60i(29.97i) are also easily converted.

It is all a matter of taste. I prefer fast action (sports) to be 60p or 29.97i. 24p is great for interviews scenics (slow pans) etc.