Media cataloguing software at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old March 22nd, 2009, 12:36 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Media cataloguing software

As I shoot more and more with my EX1, hard drives seem to be self-replicating across my office like the robots in Terminator. It's tough to stay on top of archives and backup status and where everything is located. Does anyone have suggestions for software that will stay on top of cataloguing all this media? I'm not looking for anything super robust or complicated- there are no networks to integrate with, just one user with a bunch of media.
Andy Schocken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2009, 12:55 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Take a look at CatDV:

CatDV 7.0 Home

- Don
Don Greening is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2009, 01:45 PM   #3
Sponsor: Westside AV

We use Filemaker Pro DB for all our media.

Every file is on DVD's (Bluray or SL/DL reds) and Multiple HD's. In two different locations.

Each DVD or folder also has a FCP project with all the files in sorted bins.

There is simply a number that corresponds to DVD and each drive has folders that are copies of the DVDs so it is quick to locate clips.

Including a screen shot of typical record.
Attached Thumbnails
Media cataloguing software-picture-2.png  
Olof Ekbergh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2009, 05:34 PM   #4
Major Player

Very nice, Olof. How are you inserting the pix? From FCP thumbnails? Finder Preview?
Old March 23rd, 2009, 07:00 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Chandler View Post
Very nice, Olof. How are you inserting the pix? From FCP thumbnails? Finder Preview?
Or are your using clip browser or XDcamtransfer.
One of them has a fine screen frame capture
Old March 24th, 2009, 08:05 AM   #6
Trustee

We've been using Retrospect (now Dantz) Backup for many many years now. We started using it archiving to AIT tapes, then switched to firewire hard drives. It's been working great. What I like most about it is that you can Search. If I'm looking for a old logo, I just type in the name, and it locates it. Then it tells me to insert what ever tape or hard drive the media is one, about 10 seconds later it's restored.

We got it free with the AIT drive we bought years ago. Since then we've paid $70 for an update so it works with OS 10, but the updates since then have been free. The point is, you're going to be using whatever software you choose for a LONG time. Make sure you choose one from a reputable company that's going to be around for the long haul.

Another option I've considered is the new Bento (striped down version of Filemaker Pro database). It's supposed to be easy to use, but it will take more time to configure than a dedicated media archiving tool.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds