Stock Lens and Letus Extreme Comparison at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old March 24th, 2009, 11:05 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Stock Lens and Letus Extreme Comparison

Hi Everyone,

I've put together a show reel of footage shot with the EX1 stock lens and then footage shot with the Letus Extreme and a Nikon 85mm F1.4.
The purpose of the reel is to show potential clients the possibilities with and without adapters in dusk/night low light situations.
I thought it might be of interest to anyone on the forums thinking of getting an adapter.

Kubalsky.

With And Without...... on Vimeo
Alexander Kubalsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2009, 11:57 PM   #2
Major Player

very very handy and very nice looking images aswell. This has been a great help and the type of video I have been hoping to see for a long time. Thank you
Daniel Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2009, 10:11 PM   #3
Major Player

You seem to have a love affair with human faces . . .
Brian Barkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2009, 03:23 AM   #4
Trustee

Not sure what point is being made here. The stock lens at full zomm is about the same focal lenght as the Nikon 85mm, so you are going to produce more or less the same look and depth of field.

The advantage the Letus has, is that you can use wider lenses and still maintain the shallow depth of field.

I have put together a short clip using various Nikon lenses on the EX3 - I did use a tripod for all the shots including the 500mm lens, but still managed to get camera shake.

Sony EX3 Nikon mount
Old March 29th, 2009, 09:39 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Oliver View Post
The stock lens at full zomm is about the same focal lenght as the Nikon 85mm, so you are going to produce more or less the same look and depth of field.[/url]
What????????? 5.8 to 81.2 mm (equivalent to 31.4 to 439 mm on 35 mm lens) I'm not sure of the point your trying to make.
Michael B. McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2009, 10:07 AM   #6
Trustee

I think I got my sums wrong, of course I was comparing the Stock lens at full zoom to an 85mm Nikkor using the Sony/Nikon adaptor, which produces a 5.4X magnification.

I need more sleep before my brain wakes up.
Old March 29th, 2009, 08:50 PM   #7
Regular Crew

This footage is about faces, portraiture shots, which is why I used the classic Nikon 85mm portraiture lens. i purposely concentrated on shooting faces because it's something I rarely do and could use the practice. It's something that a director might appreciate too so it's good footage for show reels. With portraiture, background blur is important so I wanted to compare the blur.

I know that when the stock lens is zoomed in it has a greater shallow depth of field but I think the bokeh is quite different to the Nikon/Letus bokeh/blur. Notice the stock lens circles of light have the iris blades edges on it, octagon shapes where as the nikon circles are round.

I purposely left out footage I have shot recently with my Sigma 14mm. An amazing wide angle lens that lets me get a flower in focus a centimetre away with a huge perspective behind it. I'll save that for the next reel!
Alexander Kubalsky is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds