Vortex Media's XDCAM Field Guides for EX1 and EX3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old March 26th, 2009, 01:31 PM   #1
Major Player

Vortex Media's XDCAM Field Guides for EX1 and EX3

Hi guys,

Just noticed that Vortex Media now also has a book of their famous EX1 and EX3 DVD's.

Vortex Media's XDCAM Field Guides

Check them out!
Ivan Snoeckx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2009, 03:14 PM   #2
Major Player

Looks like a great book to have tucked up in your bag when you are out and about. I think I will order up one of those EX3 guides when they come out.
Steve Shovlar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2009, 07:36 PM   #3
Major Player

Vortex Media EX-3 Field Guide

Just got my copy today.

Congrats to Doug on a superb camera-bag companion to the EX-3.

This spiral-bound glossy volume is 132 pages of color photos, charts, a back-focus chart, and just generally information that should have been in the EX-3 documentation.

It only lacks picture profile recipes, but those can be found on Vortex' DVD training collection.

Highly recommended reference!

Ned Soltz
Ned Soltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2009, 09:45 PM   #4
Major Player

Same goes for the EX1 Field Guide, I got mine a few days ago. A great resource to have handy.
Buck Forester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2009, 10:23 AM   #5
Major Player

Have to agree with Ned and buck. I just received the EX3 field guide and it covers just abut everything you could possibly need in one tidy little book.

Full colour as well. I could have used this book with me last week when I was on a job and my mind went blank when I was trying to do something.

Also great to have a back focus chart included so that you can check it on a regular basis.

I think the quality of training products from Vortex Media is second to none. Easy to listen to Dougs voice on the training DVDs, and he also has the knack of writing excellent books as well.

Highly recommended to those that want a nice compact reference guide for the EX3 or EX1 which is easy to use and will have your problem sorted in no time.
Old April 10th, 2009, 07:05 PM   #6
Vortex Media

Thank you!

Steve, Ned, Buck

Thanks for your kind words. It is great to hear all positive feedback that is coming in from EX1 and EX3 owners who have ordered a Field Guide. I tried to create something that I would want to have in my camera bag, and I guess other people have the same need.

I'm on a cross-country road trip and even I referred to something in the EX3 book yesterday.

Thanks for the feedback.
Doug Jensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2009, 04:55 AM   #7
Major Player

HI Doug, the book is a keeper. I thought I knew my way around the camera almost with my eyes closed but sometimes you want to change a setting quickly and the mind goes blank. This book solves that problem as i just dive into it to find what I am looking for.

You make an interesting point about the cheek guard. Its still here wraped in the plastic bag but I might give it a try.

Do other EX3 users use their cheek guards?
Old April 11th, 2009, 07:27 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Just ordered my book and dvd yesterday, can't wait!
My cheek guard is still in the plastic as well. What is the point made about it?
Maybe I should try it too! I can't believe I haven't yet, I guess I wrote it off as a "gimmick" or something.
Dana Kupper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2009, 08:09 AM   #9
Sponsor: Westside AV

I got the book about a week ago. It is great, the back-focus chart is a nice touch.

I use the cheek guard. It really does help cam steady on the shoulder.

The other "must have" in my opinion is:

EX3 Heavy Duty Base Plate System | VFGadgets.com

Or something similar, the single 1/4" mount on the bottom of the camera is a joke in real production use.

This makes it possible to use the betacam VCT-U14 quick connect plate. A huge improvement. I wish Sony would make a strong VCT-U14 base for the next version.

I have those baseplates on 3 sets of sticks, a stedicam and jib. I am sure a lot of shooters do.

I have also added a side plate for chordless mike and a IDX battery holder in the back, this makes the cam much more shoulder friendly.
Olof Ekbergh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2009, 11:48 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Olof, if you get a chance to post a pic of your setup that would be great!
Sometimes when I see something it is clearer to me and then I know how to do it.
Dana Kupper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2009, 10:44 PM   #11
Major Player

No back focus chart with the EX1 guide? I got my guide but no back focus chart would be nice to have does it only come with the EX3 guide? Doug was I suppose to get one?
Jason Bodnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2009, 06:10 AM   #12
Major Player

You don't need a back focus chart for the EX1 because you can't take the lens off.
Old April 25th, 2009, 07:48 AM   #13
Major Player

It still seems worthwhile running Auto FB once in a while, and having a chart to check that backfocus has not drifted.
Nick Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2009, 09:03 AM   #14
Major Player

Auto FB is not available on the EX1. But I agree that it is a nice thing to have, just for checking the backfocus.
Old April 25th, 2009, 09:12 AM   #15
Major Player

It is, in the maintenance menu accessed by pressing Menu, Sel/Set and Cancel at the same time.
Nick Wilson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds