Help is needed EX3 owner takes apart EX3 body and has too many bits left over. - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old March 31st, 2009, 04:39 AM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hart View Post
There is a servicing centre in Holland which publishes images of gutsed-out cameras which might have the EX3 posted for download now. I cannot remember the name but there was a link maybe on the PD150 subforum way back. I will beg others with fast internet to look back for it. I'll be up all night if try it.
Bob, I guess this is the website you are looking for.

www.camcorderservice.nl

Unfortunally it has no detailed pictures of the PMW-EX1/EX3.
Ivan Snoeckx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2009, 05:03 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Recommend you contact a Sony service outlet and (very nicely) ask them if that have any images from EX3 service manuals that display that section of the camera. Then ask them to send you a copy of the image.

or

Better yet, since you like to service your camera, ask to purchase a service manual. Hopefully they can direct you to an online version for download.

Good luck!
Juan McFarland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2009, 06:07 AM   #18
Major Player

Unfortunately, as said above, the service manual doesn't display that section of the camera in the detail wanted. Obviously there must be detailed design drawings (otherwise nobody could build the camera), but this section is treated as a module for servicing purposes.
Serena Steuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2009, 06:23 AM   #19
Major Player

The service manual isn't going to help because there are no detailed pictures in it from the lens mount or CCD block. It's like Serena Steuart's contact person at Sony says. In case of damage or faults, the whole block will be replaced.

Here is the exploded view of the lens mount. This is the most detailed picture you will find in the service manual.

Exploded view lens mount

I don't have to tell you that normally this isn't a try at home thing. But in case of high emergency always take many pictures of it, before ripping the piece of equipment apart.
Ivan Snoeckx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2009, 06:30 AM   #20
Major Player

I suppose you could rent one for a day and open up just enough of it to see that part and where the three pieces go. I would assume that if you screw up the rental camera you will do the honorable thing and tell the rental company that you did. But if you are super careful, and treat the rental camera with more care than you did your own camera just to look at only that section to see where those three pieces go you shouldn't have a problem. And take a photo of the inside while you are at it.

John
John Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2009, 07:40 AM   #21
Major Player

Or how about talking to Sony service about getting a new lens mount module and instructions for fitting it.
Nick Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2009, 01:41 PM   #22
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Peterson View Post
I suppose you could rent one for a day and open up just enough of it to see that part and where the three pieces go. I would assume that if you screw up the rental camera you will do the honorable thing and tell the rental company that you did. But if you are super careful, and treat the rental camera with more care than you did your own camera just to look at only that section to see where those three pieces go you shouldn't have a problem. And take a photo of the inside while you are at it.

John
Sorry John, yours is bad advice....
Rental cost--$300-500 /day.

Bet it would be much cheaper to take camera to repair service to reinstall.
Old March 31st, 2009, 06:00 PM   #23
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Jackson View Post
Sorry John, yours is bad advice....
Rental cost--$300-500 /day.

Bet it would be much cheaper to take camera to repair service to reinstall.
OOps!

I have never rented a camera. Good to know.

John
John Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2009, 05:23 AM   #24
Major Player

Better still...someone who owns a EX3, take a few pictures of the lens area..taking nothing apart...and posting them on here for all to see....

I would do mine..but its out on a 2 week rental......

HTH
Old April 2nd, 2009, 05:43 AM   #25
New Boot

Hi guys thanks for all your advice, all taken care of and not a sony dealer in sight, in fact the sony dealer in Qatar does not even deal with the professional end of sony products.

Good to know that a few of you are happy to give practical advice in such situations, yes I should never of opened it in the first place which was a negative but the positives gained from this experience far outweigh the negative.

Positives
Getting advice from you guys about how the parts all fit together.
Finding a very good service person in Qatar who I would never have been bothered to look up otherwise. 33 years experience this guy has got so will learn a lot from him.
No parts needed replacing.
Learn't more about my camera, I have a couple of EX1s and 1 EX3 so always had back ups if it had to be sent away.

So thanks to everybody for there input, will keep in informed and post pictures next time I take something apart. Will remember to take before and after pictures next time.
Jonathan Le Marchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2009, 05:34 AM   #26
Major Player

So where did the three parts fit?

John
John Peterson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds