How many people have upgraded their own EX1 firmware? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Closed Thread

Old April 5th, 2009, 12:05 PM   #1
Major Player

How many people have upgraded their own EX1 firmware?

Hey all,

I'm trying to decide between sending my EX1 in to Sony for a firmware upgrade or doing it myself. My purpose is to use the MxR Express cards in it.

I don't relish the idea of losing the camera for 2-4 weeks, and I haven't heard great things about how thorough Sony is anyway. But I also don't want to brick mt EX1.

I have a degree in electrical engineering, so I'm pretty comfortable with the technical aspects of doing the upgrade myself.

So - how many out there have done the upgrade themselves? Was is successful? Were there any problems?

Thanks in advance.
Old April 5th, 2009, 04:10 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Upgrading your own firmware potentially invalidates your warranty, so I doubt too many people want to talk about it in a public forum with their full names attached. But I do know a guy who did it himself, and everything went smoothly.
Old April 5th, 2009, 04:43 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I have read a lot of posts on this site with people saying that their Camera was sent off to Sony for 4 weeks etc.... I spose I will consider myself lucky as I took my EX1 straight to the authorised Sony repair centre and he done it in 45 min for me. Could not complain about that :)
Old April 5th, 2009, 06:47 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I did mine myself. (My camera was within a month of warranty expiration). I don't have much experience with this kind of thing, but I'm not afraid to try IF I have detailed instructions. Other members of this board helped me out. It took about an hour, but it probably could have been done in half that if I wasn't neurotic about making sure I did every step EXACTLY as written.

Pete
Old April 5th, 2009, 06:58 PM   #5
Major Player

I kept a copy of the firmware when it first leaked out, but was afraid to apply it because I knew it would invalidate my Sony Extended Warranty. I'd like to know if anybody reading this thread HAS the same warranty AND had Sony apply the update AND can tell me how long it took. I hear such horror stories about how long it takes to have this done and wondered if having the Sony Warranty shortens the turnaround time.
Old April 5th, 2009, 08:08 PM   #6
Trustee

I did it myself and the main reason was not even a 2-4 weeks of turnaround time, I just know how equipment is being handled in those shops;
I let other people touch my camera only when I really have to, but maybe that is only my painful experience.
Old April 5th, 2009, 10:44 PM   #7
Major Player

ahhhhhhhhh. i know a guy who did it himself. this guy knew nothing about engineering and had never done an upgrade of any sorts and he was successful.
Old April 6th, 2009, 03:49 AM   #8
New Boot

I did it my self. No problems. After some months i send the Camera to Sony because of the Battery Drain problem....no problems.
-Hanno
Old April 6th, 2009, 05:03 AM   #9
Major Player

OK guys - great, thanks.

Now... does anyone have a link to a version of the firmware that they know worked? And the instructions that go with it?
Old April 6th, 2009, 07:09 AM   #10
Obstreperous Rex

Hi Barry, we're not going to post those links here, but you can find them elsewhere on the web via your favorite internet search service. Good luck,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds