Huge Issue in Slow and Quick Mode at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old April 7th, 2009, 02:49 PM   #1
New Boot

Huge Issue in Slow and Quick Mode

Hi Guys,

I have an EX3 and was doing some testing, all was good UNTIL...

I put the camera into S&Q mode (over/undercrank) and the entire image goes bright green. I can still see some detail of the scene, but even with the Iris closed all the way down I see dancing bright green noise. Even with the gain off, this occurs. Any ideas? I have been throught the entire menu and can't find a setting that affects it. Also, in the menu the option for S&Q mode is grayed out.

Any help appreciated, I'm new to the forum but will definitely stick around and help with anything I can.
Sam Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2009, 04:41 PM   #2
Trustee

Do you have the video format set to 720 30p or 720 24p? That's the only think I can think of. (you can only use S&Q when shooting in those formats)
Old April 7th, 2009, 05:15 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Actually S&Q works in 1080p too although over is limited to 30 but you can still under.

Try turning off the camera and pulling the internal battery for 10 minutes. That should give the camera a complete cold reboot. You'll lose all the settings so you might want to save them to a card if they're critical.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2009, 05:27 PM   #4
Trustee

Oops! What Craig said is correct. (as usual!) Thanks Craig.
Old April 7th, 2009, 09:22 PM   #5
New Boot

I looked for the reset button, and found the internal battery, I will try that. Otherwise I think she goes back! It's like the blue and green CCD's are putting out the max!
Old April 8th, 2009, 02:58 PM   #6
New Boot

Here's some screenshots of my problem, taking the battery out didn't help.
Attached Thumbnails
Huge Issue in Slow and Quick Mode-mail-1.png   Huge Issue in Slow and Quick Mode-mail.png  

Old April 9th, 2009, 12:27 AM   #7
Major Player

Have you tried white balancing again to see if that fixes things.
Andrew Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2009, 02:03 AM   #8
Inner Circle

I would say that one needs to go back to Sony.
Old April 9th, 2009, 02:57 AM   #9
Regular Crew

My EX1 screen did exactly the same thing when I switched it on the other day. All tinted green. It seemed to go back to normal by itself after 10 seconds though. First time I'd seen it and I've had the camera since Nov 2007.
Alexander Kubalsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2009, 07:28 AM   #10
New Boot

Tried white and black balancing, it happens in slow shutter mode too...I guess she's %$#^ed. Thanks again.
Old April 10th, 2009, 12:10 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Not very ontopic, but I had the "same" issue with a 3CCD Sony VX2100. From one moment to the next it looked exactly like on your pics when I switched the cam on.
It was a problem/dying of the green CCD in the cam. The problem was known by Sony and they replaced the complete 3CCD part and prisma for free... If I would see this again on my EX1 I would not hesitae to bring it to service immediatly. Not to loose again important shots.
Markus Klatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2009, 02:48 PM   #12
New Boot

Sony still has a CCD bulletin on PD170's and will replace them for free. We sent a lot of them for that at the last Rental house I worked at. This is definately an issue with the processing of CCD information, but because it only happens in certain modes, it can't be a CCD. I'm using it next weekend and then it's going in, I'll keep you guys posted in case you ever have this issue.
Old May 22nd, 2009, 06:23 PM   #13
New Boot

Cam was messed, part on backorder, still not sure what's being replaced. If this happens to you it's done.
Sam Lewis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds