DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   remote commander (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/196786-remote-commander.html)

Ed Kukla April 14th, 2009 10:54 AM

remote commander

How's your IR remote control working for you? Mine is working poorly. I bought a new battery and it still works poorly. I have to hold it directly in front of the camera to get it to work. That seems unacceptable.

David Hutchinson April 14th, 2009 11:06 AM

Mine is exactly the same - have to be within about 3m of the camera - hardly seems worthwhile.

Ed Kukla April 14th, 2009 11:44 AM

3 m is OK to me, it's the fact I have to be in front of the camera. VERY close doesn't matter if I'm not directly in line with the IR sensor at the onboard mic.

Buba Kastorski April 14th, 2009 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ed Kukla (Post 1092045)
I have to hold it directly in front of the camera to get it to work. That seems unacceptable.

when I just got the camera I was very surprised by the fact that remote works only in front of the camera and from very short distance, as a first action i bought new battery and just after that I've found out that remote works as designed, I don't use it often, but when I do it sucks, even though i have one button assigned to RC enable.

Alastair Traill April 14th, 2009 04:47 PM

The remote for my EX3 produces a very erratic zoom if used closer than a couple of metres.

The sensor is located in front of the microphone and I found that if I place a reflector in front of the sensor I could control the camera from behind. All you need is a small piece of aluminium sheet bent so that the IR from the remote is reflected onto the sensor. I used a rubber band to hold the reflector in position.

Also Infrared range extenders are available in either kit form or complete. These copy the signal produced by the remote and transmit to a second emitter. This can increase the range of the supplied remote and as the signal can be carried part of the way by wire, transmission can be achieved through walls etc.

Mitchell Lewis April 14th, 2009 07:06 PM

I thought the remote was mainly to be used by single guys in the bedroom? If I'm correct in my assumption, than using the remote in front of the camera is perfectly appropriate. (joke)

(Yes it's stupid that you can't use the remote from behind the camera. Someone whack Sony on the side of the head)

Harold Schreiber April 14th, 2009 09:40 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Gentlemen,

Just make up a "IR Remote to Cam, by Fiberoptic cable Mod".

Simple, cheap, and you can use the IR Remote "freehand", or attached to your Tri-Pod's Control Handle. For more Pics, ckeck my other Posts. I've made this setup for about 10 different Cams now, since 2000.

Harold

Alastair Traill April 14th, 2009 10:57 PM

Harold,

I considered your fibre optic cable option but it seemed bulky as well as more work and cost than a simple reflector. It would also be something else to trip over.

Jon Braeley April 15th, 2009 06:30 AM

I never understood why Sony did not make this bluetooth?

Then you do not have to point the remote - it would work from any angle. I have a PS3 that uses a bluetooth remote and it is Sony, so they have the technology.

Mike Chandler April 15th, 2009 08:49 AM

Mine works sporadically. Stopped working altogether, new battery, still nothing, then after jiggering IR on/off multiple times, got it to work again . When it works, though, it does work from behind the camera.