What's the best option for a live feed out on the EX1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old April 16th, 2009, 02:36 PM   #1
Trustee

What's the best option for a live feed out on the EX1

I have a shoot that will require a live feed be taken from the Ex1 to a switcher and then broadcasted to several large screens at a conference.

I have never done this with the Ex1 and was wondering if someone has experience with the output configuration for me.

I have read the manual but it’s not clear for me to absorb the SDI output and if this is the best option.
My understanding is that the SDI output can be in HD and SD is this correct?
Is it possible to capture to SXS card in HD and output via the SDI in SD?

I’m not sure if the broadcaster can handle a HD live feed from the Ex1 (I’m sure they can) and would like some more info on this.

Regards
Simon Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2009, 05:53 PM   #2
Major Player

Feed SDI if you can

If they can take either HDSDI or downconvert SDI that is he way to go. The monitor out is just what it says- plug in a standard def monitor and see a picture - but it is not a good enough picture to really use. There was an earlier thread about a new small SDI-sd downconverter that cost about $300, a handy thing to have in any EX bag.
I've successfully used any anycast switcher fed all HDSDI signals from EX cameras, switched and downconverted then put out as NTSC video to projectors in other locations.
I've unsuccessfully tried to feed a single EX monitor out feed to a sat truck in a pinch, it was an out of focus fuzzball when it arrived at the other end.
SDI is the way to go.
Denis OKeefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2009, 07:10 PM   #3
Trustee

Thanks Denis,

So if the switcher can take an HD signal I’m best to use the HDSDI output.
If the switcher cant take the HD signal can I still use the SDI (BNC) and output SD?

I have just read the manual and it states: You can change the setting so it outputs an SD SDI signal and this also becomes true for the Component out.

I cant do any tests with the SDI at home and would hate to turn up at the gig and not have the correct method prepared.

Thanks
Simon Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2009, 09:15 AM   #4
Major Player

SDI out

If the switcher can take SDI (or HDSDI) you should be in good shape. Feeding component with the supplied wire probably would work fine but that is a lot of cable. I confused the EX1 and EX3 in my earlier post - the 3 has a monitor out, but that is not good enough to feed a program.
THe EX1 is supplied with a composite cable, but I have no experience using that, I have no idea what the quality of the image is.
Back to SDI - that works great. You can set the menu for HDSDI or SDSDI and either squeeze or edge crop the image. The downconvert settings will also appear on the component (and I suppose the composite) feed.
One thing to keep an eye out for - if the sdi doesn't work make sure the "ilink" setting is off, you can have either one or the other.
And that raises another possibility - if you are using a Sony Anycast switcher you can feed from the ilink port via firewire.
You have some options, I'm partial to SDI if you can use it.
Denis OKeefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2009, 10:40 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I use my EX1's chiefly with a switcher. In my case HD-SDI into a Panasonic AV-HS300. I've some issues with the switcher but the system works well. At the time I purchased there weren't as many options available at reasonable prices as there are now. I've run RGB out from each camera into Marshall R72P-2HDA monitors in the control area and use these for each camera. I use a AJA HI5 DD-SDI to HDMI to watch my HD program out with a regular consumer HD monitor. I record to XDCAMHD PDWF75. I use it to simultaneously downconvert to SD. I view the SD on a Sony CRT monitor and record a DVCAM copy.

Incidentally, the Sony CRT with a waveform monitor and verctorscope is still the best way to determine what I'm seeing in terms of color accuracy and levels. I use the consumer HD monitor to check focus and composition.
Marc Myers is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds