Clip Browser: is it necessary? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old April 19th, 2009, 06:12 AM   #16
Major Player

I have sat down quietly this weekend and "cracked" Clip Browser having not succeeded in the past. I cannot now contemplate transferring files without CRC. As Craig says it only takes one incident and that may well be one too many. For me, now that I have the workflow sorted there will be no other way of working.
Bruce Rawlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2009, 08:21 AM   #17
Trustee

Wow, this is a scary thought but I've been using the EX1 since early 2008 and I have never heard of CRC before. The scary thing is that I have been working on a long term project where we have a couple of TB in EX1 footage that are transferred and backed up to second drives but we haven't started editing it yet I surely hope we won't encounter the same problems as Peter Mee. I have always just marked all clips and dragged them into the second explore window in clip browser which was opened to the folder I wanted the clips to goß is there anything wrong with this method, if CRC is checked? I like that method because sometimes I copy individual clips to folders already containing other clips if they belong to the same sequence. Although in the very beginning I used to just copy the BPAV to where I wanted suing windows explore without clip browser and I would think this method is not recommended at all?
I just checked my clip browser settings and CRC was not checked and "priority in move" was set to "processing speed". I have now checked "data protection" in "priority in move" and also checked CRC. But under the CRC option there's a window with a path which says "copy all files to:" and I'm not sure what it means? What files? Your clips destination is chosen by you at the moment you copy right?
Also what is little code in the window clip ID?
Michael Maier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2009, 01:53 PM   #18
Major Player

Hi Michael.
I didnīt use to use the CB and just dragged and dropped the BPVAs and never had a problem. Then reading about the CB here and itīs benefits made me start to use it.

I just want to try to comfort you and say that itīs highly unlikely that you have problems with your footage, but use CB from now for the added peace of mind.
Joachim Hoge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2009, 01:57 PM   #19
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joachim Hoge View Post
Hi Michael.
I didnīt use to use the CB and just dragged and dropped the BPVAs and never had a problem. Then reading about the CB here and itīs benefits made me start to use it.

I just want to try to comfort you and say that itīs highly unlikely that you have problems with your footage, but use CB from now for the added peace of mind.
Applause, Kudos, (select accolade of your choice and place here)!
That's exactly the point. CRC is a seat belt. It protects you against the rare (but catastrophic) accident.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2009, 03:48 PM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Maier View Post
Wow, this is a scary thought but I've been using the EX1 since early 2008 and I have never heard of CRC before.
The CRC or Cyclic Redundancy Check has been around in one form or another since the early 1960's. Simply stated it is an error detecting code. There are a number of CRC standards. You can read more about it in Wikipedia.

Cyclic redundancy check - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old April 19th, 2009, 07:23 PM   #21
Major Player

well well. thanks to all of you who responded. i appreciate your advice. i guess i should listen to my mom's advice,"Better safe then sorry."

cheers!
Michael B. McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2009, 11:02 AM   #22
Regular Crew

Log and Transfer vs. Clip Browser....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Collins View Post
For non-critical projects I will often just use Log & Transfer from the card and then back up the QT files. Can these files "go bad"?
I've been wondering about this. I used Log and Transfer almost exclusively with my old HVX and noticed you could use it with SxS media as well.

I take it from reading through this that Log and Transfer does not perform any sort of CRC when importing?

If this is the case - I'm wondering what the benefit of using Log and Transfer is vs. CB?
Kellen Dengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2009, 11:26 AM   #23
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellen Dengler View Post
I take it from reading through this that Log and Transfer does not perform any sort of CRC when importing?

If this is the case - I'm wondering what the benefit of using Log and Transfer is vs. CB?
CB good for backing up. Log and Transfer good for importing. Two VERY DIFFERENT functions.
Old April 20th, 2009, 12:37 PM   #24
Regular Crew

So you mean like backing up to multiple locations?

I understand that CB will allow you to do that. I guess what I don't get is - if you use Log and Transfer to import your clips, they are stored into your specified Capture Scratch folder. Couldn't you just back those clips up else where later to achieve the same thing CB does?

I've been using Clip Browser, but I'm just wondering what it does differently than Log and Transfer?
Kellen Dengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2009, 01:38 PM   #25
Inner Circle

CB copies and does CRC check to make sure the copy is good. That has nothing to do with Log and Transfer at all.

You need to back up your camera masters which are the BPAV folders.

What you import is rewrapped as .mov which may be very difficult to port to another non FCP system unlike the camera masters.
Old April 20th, 2009, 02:01 PM   #26
Regular Crew

Yeah I mean typically I use CB initially and then set up my clips into FCP when I'm ready to begin my project. I just tried the Log and Transfer just to see what was left in the folder besides the clips and you are right - no BPAV folders.

I guess I didn't really realize that the clips imported via Log and Transfer are FCP compatible only. That's really good to know for future reference. Thanks!
Kellen Dengler is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds