SanDisk SDHC issue - write protect thingy fallen out - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old May 25th, 2009, 02:56 AM   #16
Trustee

So copy the BPAV folders to HDrive anyway even if I don't intend to reuse the SDHC cards for 5/6 weeks. OK Thanks Colin.
Anthony McErlean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2009, 10:35 AM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Peterson View Post
SanDisk will replace the card without a hassle. I would simply do that.

Also, the suggestion regarding extra preloaded adapters is a good one. That is what I did back when I bought six Kensington adapters. They are preloaded and I never have to switch cards at a shoot. I only switch preloaded adapters.

John
But that doubles the cost of the media. I don't think potentially the write protect tab alone is a common enough of a problem to justify that. If you have a hard enough time handling the cards because SDHC is too small to easily handle, then maybe its worth it.
Jeff DeMaagd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2009, 11:00 AM   #18
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff DeMaagd View Post
If you have a hard enough time handling the cards because SDHC is too small to easily handle, then maybe its worth it.
I'm shooting on the run an awful lot and be stranded from my kit bag for almost a day, so now wear a Scott-e-vest waistcoat thing that is a little nerdy, but means I can carry a stick mic, Sennheiser XLR transmitter, radio mic, headphones, white card, extra batteries, Canon HV20, phone, ipod, etc. I can keep pre-loaded MxR adaptors on one side, then once used, put them in the other side. Then there's the secret pocket with the SxS card for slomo.

So now that I know the little aluminium SDHC card cases are bad karma, I'm sold on never taking them out of the adaptors. And I'm also going to treat those adaptors to some Tender Loving Care too.

The best thing about Fail Safe is 'safe'. The worst thing about Fail Safe is 'fail'.

BTW - No reply from SanDisk. No joy, or desire to take any further, from retailer. Lots of weasel words in warranty info (no offence to weasels). Lifetime warranty appears to be a marketing term.
Old May 25th, 2009, 02:03 PM   #19
Major Player

I have a transcend 16 gB card with the same problem - if it just ended up with no write protection it really wouldnot matter. I just thought it was a plastic thing signaling to a switch in the reader - but you say it's a switch in the SDHC card. Maybe it can be moved over from an old 16mB card??????
Bo Skelmose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2009, 02:21 PM   #20
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Skelmose View Post
I just thought it was a plastic thing signaling to a switch in the reader - but you say it's a switch in the SDHC card.
Erm, no - it is probably mechanical, just a sensor somewhere, but all devices know it has a read-write switch and that it's stuck in the read (lock) position. I guess those cards without the switch have a plastic moulding that emulates the position of the switch in write (unlock) position.

Whatever it is, I don't really want to risk doing a bodge job (as one would do with a VHS or DVCAM cassette) on something like this and write off the adaptor too. You just know it would get stuck in there in the 'not working' position.

Sigh.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds