ExpressCard 34 card for MacPro? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old May 16th, 2009, 08:55 AM   #1
Regular Crew

ExpressCard 34 card for MacPro?

Is there a way to add an ExpressCard 34 slot to a MacPro? Can't Google any myself...
Old May 16th, 2009, 09:01 AM   #2
Trustee

Sony Product Detail Page - SBACUS10
Old May 16th, 2009, 10:15 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Cheers, was aware of the Sony reader, but assume that as it's a USB connection, transfer must be very slow, as it is when we use the camera to transfer? Using the ExpressCard slot in a MacBook Pro is much faster, so wanted to add that functionality to MacPro too.
Old May 16th, 2009, 11:24 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Sony's reader is faster than the camera but not as fast as PCIe Express card.

The problem is that the Mac Pro (and most Windows) do not support hot swap PCIe. The few PCIe readers on the market require you to reboot the Mac Pro every time you change cards.

PCI Express to ExpressCard 34|54 Slot Drive Read-Writer PC/Mac, Synchrotech

read
Hot swapping PCIe based ExpressCards with PCIe to ExpressCard Drives, Synchrotech
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2009, 01:22 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Hi Craig - I see the problem with Synchrotech's PCIe card - but also notice that it connects to the MacPro via USB (internally) - so would it be no faster than the Sony USB card reader anyway? Do you happen to have the Sony reader, or know of its performance? As mentioned, am assuming that USB is always way slower than the ExpressCard slot on the MacBookPro?
Old May 16th, 2009, 01:37 PM   #6
Inner Circle

The Synchrotech's PCIe card connects by PCIe or it would not be a PCIe card. It can also use USB if you happen to have an Express USB card (as the MxR/M are).

I use the Sony reader and it's as I said, faster than camera slower than PCIe.
Of course with SDHC I just use my Sandisk multiformat to USB reader. I get 2X with ClipBrowser CRC on and 4X with CRC off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Slocombe View Post
Hi Craig - I see the problem with Synchrotech's PCIe card - but also notice that it connects to the MacPro via USB (internally) - so would it be no faster than the Sony USB card reader anyway? Do you happen to have the Sony reader, or know of its performance? As mentioned, am assuming that USB is always way slower than the ExpressCard slot on the MacBookPro?
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds