EX3 and Vision 3 plate combination - I'm struggling! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old May 19th, 2009, 01:41 PM   #1
New Boot

EX3 and Vision 3 plate combination - I'm struggling!

I'm currently struggling with my EX3 and Vision 3 combination. The tripod plate doesn't have a locator pin (and Vinten have said there's no other plate for the head), and obviously there's only the one screw on the underside of the camera. I do use an MB-250 matte box and bars system, which makes it sturdier as I can use a locator, but still isn't so solid.

I've looked into possibly getting the DM Accessories shoulder mount ( DM-Accessories - EX3-SHOULDER Shoulder Brace For EX3 Camcorders ), which will solve the painful handheld too. If anyone has any thoughts on this bit of kit I'd be interested to hear them.

I could do with a smaller fix to the the tripod issue though, if anyone can recommend anything? Something not too expensive and UK located, so I ca order and receive quickly.

Thanks,

Jamie Kennerley
Jamie Kennerley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2009, 02:55 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Hi Jamie..........

Not entirely sure I'm following you with the V 3 plate not having a "pin".

Are you referring to the standard "VHS" pin that sits in front of the 1/4" screw?

Seen here in the photo of the new V 10 AS (you need to scroll down to the first photo):

Vinten Vision 3 AS Tripod (3 of 4) DV Info Net

(You'll notice the plate is actually the wrong way 'round, the pin should be at the front of the head!).

As far as I'm aware, the V x series plates are and always have been sold with both a VHS pin/ 1/4" screw plate assembly & 2 X 3/8" screws.

Is it the VHS pin/ 1/4" screw plate assembly you're missing?

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2009, 03:30 PM   #3
Trustee

Jeff's EX3 plate is excellent. Assuming you can get a 2 screw version of your release plate your current problem and more will be solved. All our EX3's are fitted with this plate and we've sold quite a few of them to local EX3 owners.
Bob Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2009, 04:59 PM   #4
New Boot

I couldn't remember how it came to me so I emailed Vinten recently to ask about this and the chap said:

"The vision 3 slide plate should have two screws one small and one slightly larger so that you can screw both into the camera, if your camera does not accommodate two screws then there is no option available."

There's one screw hole on the bottom of the ex3, as you know, and a hole for another 'locator', which the vieion 3 plate doesn't have, unlike the 501 plate for instance.

Looks the DM plate might be the one, then.
Old May 19th, 2009, 05:17 PM   #5
Major Player

Ex3 plate

You might take a look at the VFgadgets design ... looks a tad more sophisticated in its execution.

EX3 Heavy Duty Base Plate System | VFGadgets.com
Ron Wilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2009, 06:17 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Hi again...........

If the guy at Vinten said what you say, he was just plain wrong.

What you are missing is the "VHS Adapter", (Part No. 3330 - 29) which is a small plate that has a VHS pin at one end and a hole and fitted 1/4" screw at the other.

My suggestion is to ring Vinten +44 (0) 845 671 5502 and speak to Peter Harman, the Vinten Product Manager.

He's a good bloke and will sort you out.

This should solve your problem in pretty short order, or as well as it can be sorted when mounting a HD camera to anything with one poxy 1/4" screw.

I've attached a copy of the V 3 Operator Guide, check out page 8.

CS
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 3543_8_EN.pdf (459.9 KB, 337 views)

Last edited by Chris Soucy; May 19th, 2009 at 10:07 PM. Reason: ++Update
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2009, 01:59 AM   #7
New Boot

Thanks guys.
Old May 21st, 2009, 01:23 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Vinten 1/4" screw and pin for Vision 3

Hi Jamie

Please give me your contact details and ill send you the screw and pin you need. This is always supplied with a new Vision 3 so I’m surprised you don’t have it.

Who was it you spoke to in our customer services team?

All the best

Peter Harman
Product Manager, Vinten
Peter Harman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2009, 08:05 AM   #9
Major Player

I've been using the Vinten 3 with the ex3 for quite a while--probably not as stable as with the DM, but overall acceptable. My tripod plate came with the 2-pin adapter.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds