EX1 Firmware 1.13_0542 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old September 10th, 2009, 12:10 PM   #16
Regular Crew

honestly, if it's a known defect, then you shouldn't pay, however, I bought the camera knowing the lettering would rub off and didn't care either way. After a while, do you ever read what the button is anyways? I wish it would rub off over the 3 programmable buttons. Because it's silly to put the default label on them and then tell people that you can change them, so to me that's sort of unnecessary and at that point gives you a false label if changed.
Nathan Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2009, 02:52 PM   #17
Major Player

Hey Paul Kellet, have you had a chance to play around with your new lens and the updated software? Notice any improvements on the speed of autofocus or anything? I'm curious what changes were made.
Buck Forester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2009, 04:44 AM   #18
Trustee

Hi Buck, i haven't had the chance to test the new lens fully yet, i won't know about the auto focus because i never used it anyway.
The boot up time doesn't seem any quicker.

Paul.
Old September 11th, 2009, 01:27 PM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Rhodes View Post
Recieved a estimate to day by email see attachment this is insame. I thought the letters rubbing off was a known defect on the EX1 there trying to charge me tio replace the panels. Has anyone paid for the replacement of the panels on the EX1?
Hi Brian

Yep - I have had the same issue with Prime Support in the UK. They claimed that the lettering rubbing off on the right hand panel was not related to the lettering rubbing off on the left and rear panels. Had the usual fruitless discussions with Prime Support, then paid the quote to get the camera back. After many emails, they decided they could not charge as 'wear and tear' was not in the Prime Support exclusions, so they refunded the cost of the parts but 'forgot' about the labour. I am now suing Sony UK (and the supplying dealer, which I didn't want to do as they have been very supportive, but my claim is either failing to provide the contracted warrantee service, or the lettering was not fit for purpose).

Cheers, Nick
Nick Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2009, 04:39 PM   #20
Major Player

Just got off the phone with the Sony repair center in LA. I talk to one of the managers they are going to cover everything under warranty as for as the 1.11 to 1.13 update there is a bug fix for the lens zoom controller. I purchased a libec recently just tested it with my other EX1 (A) STOCK it has the 1.11 firmware I had no issues with Libec zoom controller.
Glad I did not have to pay the $400.00 for repair
Brian Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2009, 08:20 PM   #21
Major Player

Quote:
Just got off the phone with the Sony repair center in LA. I talk to one of the managers they are going to cover everything under warranty as for as the 1.11 to 1.13 update there is a bug fix for the lens zoom controller. I purchased a libec recently just tested it with my other EX1 (A) STOCK it has the 1.11 firmware I had no issues with Libec zoom controller.
Glad I did not have to pay the $400.00 for repair

GOT my EX1 back today from Sony repair did not have to pay shiping this time it has firmware v1.14_0543.
Brian Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2009, 07:24 AM   #22
Major Player

Quote:
GOT my EX1 back today from Sony repair did not have to pay shiping this time it has firmware v1.14_0543.
I'm still trying to figure out what benefit lies within firmware 1.13 let alone firmware 1.14.

Does anyone know?

John
John Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2009, 07:31 AM   #23
Regular Crew

One thing that might be different with the new firmware, is the limit for 80gb usb drives.
Sony introduce the PHU-120 drive unit. It has a 120Gb drive.
So to address this unit, the "block" for 80Gb might be removed.
John Poipie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2009, 11:50 AM   #24
Major Player

Based on documentation, one would believe the 120 unit uses both slots:
"** Use of the manual selection switch and both drive partitions are required to achieve maximum record time of 520 minutes in SP mode @ 25Mbps."

But then later in the same documentation...
"3. Uses one slot: The PHU-120K uses one of the SxS slots in the camera. It connects directly to the camera via an SxS lead i.e. the lead comes directly out of the PHU-120K and directly into one of the SxS slots on the camcorder."
From http://www.taperesources.com/EHD-PHU120K-S.html

However, the official documentation suggests that the unit itself has a switch..
http://pro.sony.com/bbsccms/assets/f..._prodbroch.pdf

So it uses one slot but has a switch on the hard drive device.
Jad Meouchy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds