Finding the subject with the EX3 and telephoto - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old June 1st, 2009, 09:21 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Really nice shot, Ofer.

The bird´s ability to hover without moving the head is awsome, the same goes for terns and pied kingfisher. I am eagerly waiting for the shot on the latter.

In the closeups, the kestrel seems to have something hanging from the head. Do you know what that is?

What shutter speed did you use?
Sverker Hahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2009, 07:18 PM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sverker Hahn View Post
Really nice shot, Ofer.

The bird´s ability to hover without moving the head is awsome, the same goes for terns and pied kingfisher. I am eagerly waiting for the shot on the latter.

In the closeups, the kestrel seems to have something hanging from the head. Do you know what that is?

What shutter speed did you use?
Thanks for your comment Sverker, the shutter speed was set to 180 degrees - which is the safe way to go as far as I understand.
These flacons hunt large insects they locate in the grass so the stuff on the face is some dirt it got.
Ofer Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2009, 05:11 PM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Grant View Post
Ofer,
I've never used one of these sights. I was thinking of buying one as I can't hit the side of a barn with open sights in rapid fire events. I'll quizz the people who do use them, one of the guys I know in the pistol club has a long background in film and television, he might have some other suggestions.
Did you ever get any more information on this?
Old July 14th, 2009, 07:01 AM   #19
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark OConnell View Post
No, haven't been to the range for a while, should be there next weekend. My apologies for the delay in getting back to you.
Bob Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2009, 04:14 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Reading your post again, Ofer, I do not understand how you use the viewfinder, since EX3 do not have a viewfinder, only an LCD. Even if you use the LCD, I do not how you can use that one together with hot shoes, which I suppose is located on the top of the camera an not on same level as the LCD.
I have an EX1, so that my be a part of my inability to understand ...
Old July 18th, 2009, 04:51 PM   #21
Major Player

Quote:
Reading your post again, Ofer, I do not understand how you use the viewfinder, since EX3 do not have a viewfinder, only an LCD. Even if you use the LCD, I do not how you can use that one together with hot shoes, which I suppose is located on the top of the camera an not on same level as the LCD.
I have an EX1, so that my be a part of my inability to understand ...
Hi Sverker, by "viewfinder" I mean the LCD+monocular lens combo.
The hot shoes are only used for getting the general direction of static objects only and then you tilt the camera up or down looking through the viewfinder.
I assume once you see an EX3 everything will be clear.
Cheers mate,
Ofer Levy Photography
Old July 19th, 2009, 02:40 AM   #22
Regular Crew

OK, Ofer, I understand a little better now, but ...

Anyway, I found a red dot aiming device on a swedish camera site for only $30. Use is said to be together with pellet guns or soft air guns.

Kikarsikte Konus Red Point rödpunktssikte

(text in swedish)

Theoretically, that is the perfect aiming device for flying birds. I´ll just see how it works in real life.
Old July 19th, 2009, 06:07 AM   #23
Major Player

Quote:
OK, Ofer, I understand a little better now, but ...

Theoretically, that is the perfect aiming device for flying birds. I´ll just see how it works in real life.
The technique I describe in this thread is actually working very well and I do a lot of bird inflight photography. Have a look at my website to see just a few examples. I am sure there are many more techniques that will theoretically work - I just wanted to help others to waste less time in checking theoretical techniques with this simple but very effective technique. Everyone is free to choose the way he/she is working though.
Cheers mate,
Ofer Levy Photography
Old August 1st, 2009, 10:42 PM   #24
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark OConnell View Post
I finally did, sorry about the delay.

These devices should work quite well. Suggestion was to go for the larger diameter units which would be 40mm. You do not have to look straight into the sight, the red dot will remain aligned with the target regardless of parallax.
No need to buy the very expensive genuine units either, the cheap knock offs should be OK. The difference is in the build quality, especially in the expensive unit's ability to withstand high G forces when it's mounted on the slide of a pistol.
Bob Grant is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds