Please help, EX1 + PremPro CS4.1 NO Preview while editing. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old June 2nd, 2009, 08:37 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Please help, EX1 + PremPro CS4.1 NO Preview while editing.

So, I am wondering what is the best sequence settings for ex cam. I am having a ton of problems with cs4 and am thinking (PRAYING) it is a user error.

Project: 2hr long recital where we had three Sony EX-1 cameras. All shooting 1920x1080p (HQ). And there are two shows, but I'll edit them in different projects.

In CS3, I would start the project and just pull the footage in... no problem everything played fine. Then when I upgraded to CS4 it was CHOPPY to the point I could not edit.

Sequence Settings: General:

Editing Mode: Desktop. But was the EX1 1920x1080 hq by default... but that wasnt working. So far, Desktop is the only thing that has even let video show up... if I import only 25minutes of footage, it plays back smooth! NOTHING has worked like this, so is Desktop the way to go?

Video Previews: I-Frame Only MPEG
I really do think this is where the problem is. The video is killing me, audio plays back like a champ (if i turn off the video and press play). I dont know enough about this to know if I am correct or not. Should I do I-frame or AVI? and if AVI which Codec? Also, should i click max bit depth and render quality? i'd assume no for a preview.

Thanks a million for any help!!!

System
Dual Core 2 6600 (2.4GHz)
8 GB ddr2
64-bit vista prem
NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT
1.5 TB of storage
OS Drive is a Raptor 10k

I am on my way to work now to get CS3 to downgrade. /sigh.
Nick Schale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2009, 11:59 AM   #2
Trustee

I've seen lots and lots of complaints about this sort of thing on the Adobe Pro CS4 forum.
I'm using Vista 64/12 GB RAM/ Intel i7. My previewing of native EX1 HQ (MP4) and AVCHD is a little jerky, with "blocking" sort of artifact on motion when the preview quality is set to "automatic". If I set it to "high" the playback is much better.
I would rec you do a search on Adobe's Pro CS4 forum. If you don't find the solution, then post your problem over there. Lots of EX1/CS4 users are online there.
P.S.
I'm just using the default sequence settings for EX 1080 HQ.
Old June 3rd, 2009, 12:27 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I had the same problem when I had AMD Dual Core processor. Now I have Intel i7 and I tried the same project i was working on before and it`s playing smoothly. Maybe you should get better processor.
Patrik Vale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2009, 10:37 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Original poster here.

My machine is NOT an i7 chip, it is a dual core 2, but has 8gig of ram and plenty of space....

SOOOOOO, i downgraded to CS3, installed the updates... and not only does it run SMOOTH AS SILK but it also runs smooth on my much weaker computer at work (2gig of ram!)

So the problem is CLEARLY CS4!
Which sucks because I am an adobe fanboy and love the cs4 suite otherwise!
Nick Schale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2009, 12:33 PM   #5
Trustee

It seems quite clear that even after the 4.1 update, Pre CS4 still has serious flaws.
Hopefully these will be addressed more definitively in further updates.
The biggest dissappointment would be for Adobe to just move on to Pre CS5, leaving CS4 as a semi Beta project that falls well short of the standards of a professional NLE.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds