Zebra question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old June 16th, 2009, 02:01 AM   #1
Trustee

Zebra question

The EX3 has two zebra options, I have set Zebra 1 to 75% and then set Zebra 2 to 98%. The problem is that when I change the settings on either one then both show the last value entered. How can I set Zebra x to a set value and Zebra x to another value?
Old June 16th, 2009, 03:04 AM   #2
Inner Circle

IGNOR WHAT'S IN THIS POST... I got it wrong... see my post below.

You've found one of those mysterious EX3 menu peculiarities. If you set Zebra 0ne to say 60 and then go to Zebra 2 and set it to 90 then select BOTH you will find that both zebras will operate at the levels you set them to.

The thing is that going back to Zebra 1 (or zebra 2) and making any changes selects Zebra 1 (or 2) only, ie a single zebra and in doing so sets the level to the last level set. It's only by going to BOTH that you enable both zebras together.

It's not the most logical way to lay out the menu as it does not show you both settings together at any point, hence the understandable confusion, but you will find that both zebras will work at the independent levels you set.

Last edited by Alister Chapman; June 16th, 2009 at 02:37 PM. Reason: Made a mistake
Alister Chapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2009, 04:20 AM   #3
Trustee

Thank you Alister, it was confusing me. I did find out that by using the Both setting that I would display the two values as stripes, but this can leave the display looking messy. I guess I was looking for a way to switch between Zebra 1 and 2 in the same way that I can switch between the White Balance settings.
Old June 16th, 2009, 04:31 AM   #4
Regular Crew

If the EX3 is anything like the EX1 then you can't actually set Zebra 2 to any value. This is a fact missed by many.
Zebra 2 only displays parts of the luminance signal that are 100% and over and can only be turned on and off. The entered values are for Zebra 1 only.
Omar Idris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2009, 12:36 PM   #5
Inner Circle

On the EX you can set both zebras to any value between 50 and 109%
Old June 16th, 2009, 12:59 PM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alister Chapman View Post
On the EX you can set both zebras to any value between 50 and 109%
But surely when you set one value, the other setting also takes on the same value. I have been experimenting with this today, and you are right that Zebra 2 is fixed at 100%, even though you are given the option to set it to any value.

I have now set my Zebra 1 to 80 and I am pretending that there isn't a Zebra 2. Maybe I will just dust off my old Weston V meter and use that.
Old June 16th, 2009, 02:36 PM   #7
Inner Circle

OK Folks, I've got this wrong, thanks to Omar and Jay Gladwell for pointing out to me that zebra 2 is in fact fixed at 100% (I had to go and check this as the menu gives the impression that it is adjustable). So Zebra 1 is adjustable and Zebra 2 fixed at 100. Selecting both gives you zebra 2 at 100 plus zebra 1 at whatever you set it to, changing the zebra 2 setting dosn't actually do anything.

To be honest I've never used zebra 2 and I rarely use any zebras. I have been looking very closely at how the cinegammas work, and for those I will be using zebra 1 at 60% to get skin tones in the sweet spot that should allow for optimum grading, which actually produces images that tend to look a little underexposed.
Old July 31st, 2009, 12:02 AM   #8
Trustee

I thought I was going mad thinking that you could adjust both Zebra settings.
So just to make sure.
Zebra 2 is fixed at 100% and Zebra 1 is adjustable?
So the only way to see Zebra 1, is to turn it on in the menu, this is the sama for Zebra 2?
And just to get through my thick head, to see both Zebras, turn it on in the menu, to both.

This is very odd.
Oh well, I'll live with it.
Simon Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2009, 02:32 AM   #9
Inner Circle

This is not odd at all; it's all in the manual.

Zebra 1 is adjustable, and displays within the range of the level set plus/minus 10 IRE (or is it 5; don't remember).

Zebra 2 is either on or off, and displays starting at 100 and up.
Old July 31st, 2009, 02:50 AM   #10
Trustee

The odd bit is that you think you are adjusting the level with zebra two, whereas you are actually readjusting the level of zebra one. To make things easier, Sony could have disabled the level adjustment when the Zebra two is highlighted.

Just a simple confusion
Old July 31st, 2009, 03:04 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Oliver View Post
The odd bit is that you think you are adjusting the level with zebra two, whereas you are actually readjusting the level of zebra one. To make things easier, Sony could have disabled the level adjustment when the Zebra two is highlighted.

Just a simple confusion
Agreed, Vincent - the menu setting procedure can be confusing. But not if you've RTFM :)
Old July 31st, 2009, 03:06 AM   #12
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki View Post
Agreed, Vincent - the menu setting procedure can be confusing. But not if you've RTFM :)
Read The Full Manual, you must be joking - too busy making mistakes. :-)
Old July 31st, 2009, 03:08 AM   #13
Inner Circle

This is a good one, ha ha :)
Old July 31st, 2009, 10:44 AM   #14
Trustee

Oh, the manual. Well I guess I should read the thing one day.
Why then do they have a setting for the second zebra if you can't change the thing.
I was thinking that this was going to be an upgrade at some point and Sony have forgot to do it.
Simon Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2009, 11:00 AM   #15
Trustee

Vincent, why have you set you zebra 1 to 80%. Most people set it for caucasian flesh tone at 70% or 60% which i prefer for HD.
Nice thing about the Zebra 1 is that it is so light , that it is not annoying to shoot with it on.
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds