What are 108% white ? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old June 17th, 2009, 02:52 AM   #1
Regular Crew

What are 108% white ?

Hi :)

when calibrating my light meter I found that the built-in spot meter of the EX1 shows 108% when completely white. 108% not 100%.

Further I found, that when importing EX1 clips to the Adobe Premiere timeline I also get more than a 100% on the waveform monitor. A pure white is normally 100% there.

But even better:
There is real information in that misterious 8%. I had a shot whith snow-covered mountains that showed clearly more information than when I limit the footage to 100%.

My next problem is how to keep that information. As soon as it's rendered out it clips to 100% :(
But that's probably for a Premiere Pro forum.

So: Is there more than the usual 8-Bit. Maybe 8.5 :)

Thanks for and ideas!

Peter
Peter Rixner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2009, 03:32 AM   #2
Major Player

Broadcast legal is 16-235, or 100% in analogue in most countries. The EX can use the full 255 for 109% which now works for some HD delivery formats.
Old June 17th, 2009, 07:47 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Are You sure ?

I can switch my Matrox Card to broadcastsafe and that reduces the whites from 100% to something little below. Or better to say from 1 to 0.95 or so.

So I would assume that 255 white = 100% or the Value 1.
Which it clearly is when I switch back from Broadcastsafe to "Post Production", which means full Range 0-255.

BUT the EX1 is above that 1.
But it's probably a interpretation thing.
I am of course aware, that it cannot be more than 8-Bit.

Anyone any more ideas ?

Thanks!

Peter
Peter Rixner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2009, 08:39 AM   #4

hmmm...not sure why there is a mystery. Most HDV cams, these days, record superwhites(white to 109% IRE). The issue is how to handle these superwhites within the NLE because delivery NTSC and PAL displays limit the range to RGB16-235. Computer monitors can display full range 0-255, but, unless your delivery medium is the web, these values will be clipped to RGB16-235 by the delivery display unless you deal with this during color correction.

One way to deal with it is to just ignore the fact that values outside RGB16-235 will be clipped. A better way to deal with it is do apply a knee to the "levels curve" that smoothly blends the illegal values back into the RGB16-235 range. Note that some NLE's will automatically remap the color mapping to broadcast levels when you import your footage, so, you'll never know that your cam was recording 109% IRE. Each NLE has a different way for dealing with this issue, altho' the actual techniques are to either clip or blend with a knee.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2009, 08:43 AM   #5
Trustee

Going to 108% simply means more of the range of digital values are used. For certain it can get clipped down the track however it's simple enough to use a curve to map the 100% to 108% values into the legal range.
Some of the Cine gamma curves in the EX produce 108% at 480%. What that means I'm pretty sure is that if you set exposure so that 100% white (e.g. white card) = 100% then clipping will occur for something 480% brighter than the white card e.g. a specular highlight. You can decide to clip that off or retain the superwhite or make use of it during compositing.
Bob Grant is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds