EX-1/3 frame grabs at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old June 17th, 2009, 11:14 AM   #1
Major Player

EX-1/3 frame grabs

So I have been asked by a client about producing a DVD, but they are wondering if
frame grabs from the video can be used as pictures in their brochures and such.
I told them, that of course hiring a dedicated still photog is best, but as they don't seem
to have the budget, I told them I'd see if I could give them a sample. I looked through
the 'EX-1 footage' section and couldn't seem to find any uncompressed full size frame grabs. I was hoping to find something shot at 1920x1080 30p and grabbed from the video
as a TIFF. I could then print it out on my photo printer and show the client the type
of quality they could expect from a frame grab with one of these cameras. Obviously
landscapes or something without lots of motion works best, as fast motion gives you
motion blur. Anyways, if anyone could do something like that, it would be awesome.....
pretty much any picture would work. I'm hoping to convince them that shooting in HD
has some extra benefits.....cause people are kind of slow moving to it here, which
is hampering my EX-1 purchase....I need to actually land a couple shoots where people
want (and will PAY for HD) to finance the purchase of the camera!
Gabe Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2009, 12:10 PM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe Strong View Post
So I have been asked by a client about producing a DVD, but they are wondering if
frame grabs from the video can be used as pictures in their brochures and such.
I told them, that of course hiring a dedicated still photog is best, but as they don't seem
to have the budget, I told them I'd see if I could give them a sample. I looked through
the 'EX-1 footage' section and couldn't seem to find any uncompressed full size frame grabs. I was hoping to find something shot at 1920x1080 30p and grabbed from the video
as a TIFF. I could then print it out on my photo printer and show the client the type
of quality they could expect from a frame grab with one of these cameras. Obviously
landscapes or something without lots of motion works best, as fast motion gives you
motion blur. Anyways, if anyone could do something like that, it would be awesome.....
pretty much any picture would work. I'm hoping to convince them that shooting in HD
has some extra benefits.....cause people are kind of slow moving to it here, which
is hampering my EX-1 purchase....I need to actually land a couple shoots where people
want (and will PAY for HD) to finance the purchase of the camera!

I have used screen grabs to do DVD covers take a look at my website under wedding vids / DVD covers the First and the 3rd slides are from screen grabs Z1u. But for a brochure I would use Still camera.

DVDAction
Brian Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2009, 05:32 PM   #3
Major Player

I've gotten some good frame grabs - just opne a clip in the browser software and the lower right of the bar has an icon of a still camera.
Click it, save the frame as a tiff and you are ready to go.
Shooting progressive yields very good images; I wouldn't want to steal a days work from my friends shooting stills, but if the budget isn't there you can add to your value, and it helps convince them to go HD too.
Denis OKeefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2009, 05:50 PM   #4
Trustee

I remember posting a 1920x1080 framegrab on here a while back....
Just found it, here it is.
It's a few posts down. Post #5

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/ex-series...-24p-clip.html
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2009, 07:50 PM   #5
Major Player

Steven,

Thanks a ton! That looks pretty good for a frame grab....nice!

Denis,

I'm not looking to steal a days work from a stills shooter....I actually advised them
it would look best if they hired one. However that apparently isn't going to happen.
Besides, some of the still folks are trying to advertise that they 'do video'
now as their still cams can capture short video clips, I'd say turnabout isn't far from
fair play. But yes, despite all this 'convergence' with the Canon 5D and such, I still say
hire a videographer for video and a stills person for stills.....with budgets being
what they are these days, I do understand what they are trying to do though.
My plan is to print out this frame grab, and print out another pic from a digital SLR
and let them make their decision after looking at them both. I told them a good digital still
camera will look better, but I also said that I thought a frame grab from an EX-1 in progressive mode
would look decent for smaller pictures.
Gabe Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2009, 08:49 PM   #6
Major Player

SDI Frame Grabs

Nothing is said about any other equipment that you may have or have access to.

I take my frame grabs off the EX-SDI port, 10-bit raw video straight into Photoshop via my Blackmagic Multibridge Extreme. The quality and detail is top notch, I'd have to say stunning when properly exposed.

15.9MB TIFF file
Full 1920x1080 - 16 bit/RGB
72 dpi

This file is too large to post on this forum and obviously downsizing would result in a loss of detail to be properly judged.

From there the image can be resized in Photoshop (without resampling) to 6x4 inches @ 300 dpi for color printing. That may not be large enough for your clients needs. So clearly a good DSLR is the way to go if they need larger color prints. Cheers!
Barry J. Anwender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2009, 02:08 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Here's a bunch of frame grabs from our show: festival_display

Keep in mind that these images have been scaled down and have more detail than what you'll see via the website.

I used a couple of these for a 1/2-page ad in a glossy magazine, and used a few to create a 4.5" x 11" flyer. The images held up. I did 4-color prepress for about 10 years and can vouch for the quality of the images that come out of the EX1 when it comes to doing print work.
Old June 18th, 2009, 07:55 AM   #8
Major Player

Hey Gabe....

Sorry, I didn't mean to give the impression you or I would take a still guys work, I was more lamenting the fact that sometimes budgets dictate these things and if you can help out the client they will appreciate it. It does help sell the HD too.

all the best....
Denis OKeefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2009, 12:12 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis OKeefe View Post
Sorry, I didn't mean to give the impression you or I would take a still guys work, I was more lamenting the fact that sometimes budgets dictate these things and if you can help out the client they will appreciate it. It does help sell the HD too.

all the best....
Totally, I know exactly what you are saying. I actually have several good friends that have
businesses doing stills, so I try and send work their way when possible (after all, that
kind of thing only comes back to help you in the end.) I am seeing more and more
people who if they have ANY budget for marketing and advertising, they are cutting
more corners and trying to get more for less. I totally understand why, but it does
put the squeeze on many of us. Oh well, I will do what I can to help them, but
I totally agree with you.....the only positive I can see with the whole situation is that
maybe it will convince some clients that upgrading to HD video shoots is a good idea,
because before this, I have had less than 1% of my shoots requesting HD, which means
there is no business model for me to buy an HD camera when I can just keep making
money with the old SD gear.

Thanks for all the responses everyone. It sounds like EX-1 frame grabs, do a decent job
and may satisfy the client's needs for some random stills. Their priority is the DVD,
they were just hoping they could possibly 'maximize their investment' by grabbing
stills and using them for some small pictures in brochures.

Dean, those are some absolutely STUNNING pictures, nice work!

I hadn't thought of your way Barry, that may be something I look into if I get the contract.
(although your link didn't show up in the forum, not sure if you were trying to post
a link to an outside posting of your picture like at yousendit or rapidshare since it was too big
for the forum). Anyways no big deal, and thanks for the info cause that sounds like a way to
get the absolute best out of the EX-1 and for some reason, although I had thought of that for
video, I had not thought of it for stills.
If I do get the EX-1, I will be buying a new MacPro to edit with as well so maybe I could look into that
solution....ya someone has got to spend money to keep the economy going.....
Gabe Strong is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds