Color Crawl? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old June 21st, 2009, 12:29 PM   #1
Major Player

Color Crawl?

I am new to the EX3, so, please excuse me if my question is either inane or mislabeled.
However, having come from a JVC HD-250U and not having experienced or noticed the following I am wondering if I am doing something wrong?

With the EX3, I have have become aware of a crawling or scintillating type artifact that tends to occasionally appear on straight (vertical or horizontal) edges regardless of the lighting conditions, contrast between the object in question and the immediate background and or color (most recently I have encountered this phenomena with a silver picture frame and a white metal fence). I have been shooting full manual (Vortex PP) at 1080P 30 with a shutter of 1/60. Have you ever encountered this phenomena and if so, is there a method of resolution?
Thank you in advance.
Ron Wilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2009, 05:04 PM   #2
Major Player

Color crawl being an analogue phenomenon, it's probably not that. Unless your watching playback on an old TV. More likely it's chromatic aberration.

On longer focal lengths, past @ Z70, with the subject at longer distances, the different color wavelengths can begin to diverge. It can look like a small red or green fringe around the edges of certain hard edged objects.

The cure is to buy a lens worth 3 or 4 times your cameras value, and even then it may not fix it all. The laws of physics you see.
Old June 22nd, 2009, 11:07 AM   #3
Major Player

Color Crawl

Thank you for the clarification.
In actuality, what I have tried to describe is somewhat different in that the "crawling or scintillating" effect does not take on a specific color but rather presents as a scintillation of the underlying object's color. The specific area of involvement was in focus and no more than 12-15 feet away from the standard EX3 objective. All the shots that have demonstrated this phenomena have been handheld and I wonder if slight movement may have played some role. I will attempt to reproduce the same shot/angle with the camera on tripod.
Ron Wilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2009, 02:05 AM   #4
Trustee

This might be detail artifacting. Try lowering your detail settings.
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2009, 08:06 AM   #5
Major Player

Artifact

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard Levy View Post
This might be detail artifacting. Try lowering your detail settings.
Sounds like a reasonable possibility and I will indeed make some changes.

Thank you.
Ron Wilk is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds