EX1 remote not working -please help at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old July 2nd, 2009, 01:12 AM   #1
Major Player

EX1 remote not working -please help

Hi!

I am doing a stop motion animation today and got out my remote for the EX1. I had it working when the camera was new. I just changed to new batteries and I have enabled IR-remote on the camera but it is still not working. Have I forgotten something?!
Old July 2nd, 2009, 02:09 AM   #2
Regular Crew

When I tested the remote the limits were aprox. 15 feet from the camera at 0 to 25deg angle of inclination from the sensor axis. And of course every time you switch to media mode or power down the IR becomes disabled and you have to reenable it again on power up. I wonder if that's a bug.
Max Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2009, 05:25 AM   #3
Major Player

When I tested my EX3 remote it become unreliable (at least with the zoom) at distances of less than about 2 m from the sensor.
Alastair Traill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2009, 09:56 AM   #4
Major Player

Thanks guys. Still no luck. Where exactly is the sensor anyway? Is there one in the back and one in the front?
Old July 2nd, 2009, 11:55 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Remote works in front of the camera!
It seems it was designed for one person ENG crew where on camera talent needs to trigger camera. There's no sensor in back of the camera. I guess Sony wasn't thinking that maybe one might not want the camera shack when hitting record or record stop.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2009, 01:20 PM   #6
Major Player

Hi Ola,

If your remote does work if fired at the Cam's sensor, and you want to be behind the Cam using the remote, then consider seting up the " IR Remote through FiberOptic Cable to Cam" Mod.

With this Mod, you can be in any position with the Remote and opperate the Cam, because of the FiberOptic connection.

Check my posts for pics and explanation, been making and using this Mod for many years now, on my Sony and Canon Cams.

Harold
Harold Schreiber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2009, 07:34 PM   #7
Vortex Media

As has been said by others, the rmeote is awkward to use because you have to be in front of the camera. I never use the remote.

What I do is mount my hard-wired Bebob remote zoom controller to a c-stand near the camera. Then I can press the record button to capture a frame without any fear of bumping the camera. There's no chance of transmitting any movement through the cable if there's enough slack. Just a suggestion.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds