EX3 Rain Cover at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old July 7th, 2009, 12:15 PM   #1
Regular Crew

EX3 Rain Cover

I'm looking at three rain covers for the EX3 and wondered if anyone has tried these:

1. Kata's RC-HD3
2. CamRade's WS-PMXEX3 wet suit
3. Kata's RC-10

With lens extensions of varying kinds and/or a mattebox, my concern with #2 and #3 is that they aren't big enough. My concern with #1 is that it's too large. I really like the noiseless material concept in the CamRade, but good luck trying to find good info/images on that company's product line! The CamRade also doesn't have an open flap on the bottom, from what I can see which makes it hard to get to controls while shooting (and keeping everything dry).

Any advice?

Thanks,
Ramsey

P.S. CamRade also makes desert suits which for the life of me I cannot find out if they are waterproof or not. Anyone know?
colorado
Jonathan Ramsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2009, 03:06 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I got the KATA RC-10

it is a fairly tight fit on the EX3 with no extras, other than an external shotgun mic.
It takes a while to put on, so if there is a chance of rain, be ready well in advance.
my trick for easy on and off, mount it, then just fold it back onto the view finder and take the view finder off (leave the view finder in the sleeve and remove from the cam with the slicker) that way you can have it back on pronto

Itīs not very good for snowing conditions, as the clear plastic window gets very brittle when exposed to low temps.

one thing I think it lacks is a clear window to the LCD control panel, which would be nice to have, but then again, KATA didnīt design it for the EX3, but for the XL1 amoungst others.

what I do like about it, it is fairly easy to operate the cam, Handheld, or mounted with the slicker on, keeps the cam dry.......... and fairly free of dust, when used as a dust cover (Erzberg Rodeo) and even stretches back just far enough, when opened to cover my zoom remote too

The cam does tend to sweat under it though, but I havenīt come across a slicker which didnīt sweat when warm wet hands are under it.

SO.... how bout a breathable slicker with Gore Tex Membrane, that fits the cam and is user friendly, easy to put on and take off and very compact for transport purposes..................thatīd be nice
oh yeah and clear windows in all the right places and less velcro which sticks to jacket sleeves and other things itīs not supposed to
Iīll keep dreaming.......................................
Kenny Cowburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2009, 12:35 AM   #3
Inner Circle

What about the Kata CRC-11?
Old July 9th, 2009, 09:10 AM   #4
Major Player

There is also the Porta Brace "RS-EX3 Mini-DV Rain Slicker". I've seen it advertised around $220.

They also have a "body armor" kit that sells for a bit more money.
Andrew Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2009, 08:58 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Options

Kenny, thanks so much for the comprehensive reply! That's very helpful. Seriously helpful. The snow concern is a big one (I'm in Colorado), as is the difficulty putting it on and off as we can have rain here that comes on in seconds, lasts for seconds, and is gone as quickly -- all without a cloud in the sky. Sounds fictitious, but it's not. So, clearly the RC-10 won't work for my needs and I would not have known otherwise.

And, I love your "dream" design concept! Ha ha. Ever tried that new plastic wrap (like Saran wrap) that self-seals? Wouldn't that be the kicker: some sort of self-sealing, removable, and reusable connection to replace velcro (which is loud and annoying)? Ahh million-dollar ideas...

Alister, The CRC-11 is so similar to the RC-10 I'm hesitant about it. And, it looks like it was an XL1/2 model that happens to fit the EX3 so they marketed it that way. In my experience, that means it will fit and work, but is anything but ideal.

And Andrew, the Porta-Brace slicker is about the same design as the CamRade I mentioned. And while I have loads of Porta-Brace gear and very much like it, for a rain coat they tend to be too heavy and too unwieldy (heavy fabrics).

And they all seem to have the same problem that they are built for the size of the camera out of the box... not with accessories in mind. That's the real rub... how do you protect the whole camera, matte box, externals, etc. with the products available? Probably just have to make my own -- did that for my shotgun/boom kit and it works perfectly! Built a protective cage for the zeplin and a waterproof bag that houses the whole kit AND, in the rain/snow, allows for sound to penetrate it quite well! I just would prefer to be shooting than sewing :)

Thanks for all the input. If anyone has had luck with rain/snow covers for the EX3, I'd still love to hear about it!

-Ramsey
colorado
Old July 11th, 2009, 06:22 AM   #6
Sponsor: Westside AV

I know this may sound silly.

I use a garbage bag most of the time. For those times when it looks like it may rain.

It fits in any pocket deploys instantly. I always have one with me. I do a lot of shooting on boats, where I use it as well as my Kata rain jacket.

I have also shot rallies, very dusty. I just throw the bag over the cam as the dust swirls by after car passes. Saves the lens/nd filter too.

I have found this to be more convenient than a tight fitting, prone to overheating jacket.

Only downside is noise if it is windy.
Olof Ekbergh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2009, 11:42 AM   #7
Regular Crew

and, of course, to make sure you take the camera out before you throw it away. Silly comments aside, I have the Kata raincoat and use my garbage bag more often. Easy to tear open in the right places and a bit of Gaffer tape prevents too much billowing.
David Herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2009, 07:03 PM   #8
Major Player

Garbage bags. That's funny, I've been using the same with my EX 1. Glad to hear I'm not alone.
Old July 11th, 2009, 08:05 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Well

I'm getting tired of all the trash talk!

Oh man, sorry. I just HAD to.

-Ramsey
colorado
Old July 12th, 2009, 10:23 AM   #10
Regular Crew

I have the Kata KT VA-801-15 CRC-15 DV/ HDV Rain Cover. I've used it to keep sand away while shooting in sand dunes with lots of wind.

It is pretty effective on EX1 and EX3.

Seeing the extension viewfinder is a hassle, so I mostly use the rear one.

I like that you can access everything from underneath if you want to, or affix an additional piece at the bottom if you need to seal everything up down there. But you have to put that piece in place over the head prior to camera placement.

Reason for choosing this model of the Kata was wanting something tight and very foldable.
Mark Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2009, 12:52 PM   #11
Major Player

Alister you had a nifty combination on an EX3 at the recent Sony Experience seminars. A rain cover and a cover for the viewfinder eyepiece. Were they Kata?
Bruce Rawlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2009, 02:03 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Haven't tried any but my choice would probably be the Kata RC-HD3 - looks like it has plenty of room to access the controls and the extension would also be good for long 35mm tele lenses.
Dave Tyrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2009, 10:39 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Has anyone heard or seen of a dessert cover in white. The EX is in need of one.
P.S. I have the CamRade's WS-PMXEX3 wet suit, and it fits really nice. But in dessert, it would get nice and hot. All that black going on.
Jason Davenport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2009, 12:46 PM   #14
New Boot

Homemade works great too

When I needed a camo rain cover for hunting videos last fall, I could not find one to fit my EX3.
I ordered a yard of camo Gortex fabric and set to work.
Ended up with a larger than "normal" cover so I can operate it while my hands and arms are underneath the rain cover. No dripping down my sleeves when handheld anymore.

I made a separate piece just for the eyepiece and LCD. That way I can still tilt and angle the viewer.

The main body cover has a rubber gasket glued into it which covers the arm of the eyepiece/LCD. I cut a slit into one side of the gasket which reforms a circle over the arm of the viewfinder when in position. Super waterproof in an area that looks like it could filter in water easily.

I ended up using velcro although snaps would work as well. The velcro secures better and make a more waterproof and snagproof shell. The velco also adheres to small sticky-backed velcro pieces I stuck on the camera in places and onto the lens cover to form a tight seal and protect from rain better.

Cost: around $25.00 plus my time. Best part is I can pop the camera on/of the tripod quickly and shoulder mount in no time.

Seamseal holds this fabric together really well.

I can email photos if anyone wants.
Paul Zwicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2009, 01:24 PM   #15
Regular Crew

post them here paul
David Herman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds