EX3 Accessories at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old July 17th, 2009, 06:00 AM   #1
Regular Crew

EX3 Accessories

I thought it might be a good idea to start a thread with links to useful accessories for the EX3 that we could possibly make into a sticky. I think it would save a lot of searching for individual items.

This is a list of the items I've purchased for mine, not including lenses as yet.

35mm Long Lens Lens Support - Really Right Stuff - Kennan Ward Super-Tele Package - Kit Configuration Page

Alternative Batteries - Swit S-8U62 Li-Ion 14.4v 63Wh Battery

Reinforcement Plate - DM-Accessories - EX3-PLATE Reinforcement Plate for EX3 Camcorders

Mic Holder flate plate - DM-Accessories - EX-FLAT - Shoe Mounts for Sony EX1 & EX3 Camcorders

Mic Hot-Shoe Shock Mount for Shotgun Mics - Azden SMH-1 Shock Mount for Shotgun Mics

SDHC Card Holders - Kensington Card Reader

SDHC Class 6 Cards - Transcend SDHC Class 6 cards

Audio Technica Long Range Mic - BP4071

Audio Technica Short Range Mic - AT897

Mic Windshields - Rycote - Softies

Tripod/Head System - Sachtler FSB8

UV filter for Stock and 35mm lenses - Hoya Pro 1 Digital

Last edited by Dave Tyrer; July 17th, 2009 at 10:15 AM.
Dave Tyrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2009, 07:29 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Kensington does not make compatible card holder. They were for a time (by coincidence) and the model was changed.
MxR and Hoodman are the only ones designed specifically for EX.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2009, 07:38 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Craig..I'm using 4 of them I purchased in the UK recently and they work fine. I'll check the model number when I get home to see if it matches the one in the link.

Dave

Update

I just checked the part number on the site where I bought them and it matches the one on Kensington's site - 33407EU. In what way were they incompatible?
Old July 17th, 2009, 08:25 AM   #4
Inner Circle

I had heard reports of two different versions and that the older design, which had worked, had been discontinued. Maybe Kensington had 2nd thoughts or maybe the reports of a replacement version were false.

Given you've posted a model number and you and others seem to have consistent luck, we should add it to the list compatible card adaptors.
This seems to be US equivalent.
7-in-1 Media Reader for ExpressCard® slot - K33407US - Kensington
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2009, 09:51 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Seeman View Post
I had heard reports of two different versions and that the older design, which had worked, had been discontinued. Maybe Kensington had 2nd thoughts or maybe the reports of a replacement version were false.

Given you've posted a model number and you and others seem to have consistent luck, we should add it to the list compatible card adaptors.
This seems to be US equivalent.
7-in-1 Media Reader for ExpressCard® slot - K33407US - Kensington
I do some tests on it and see if I get any errors filling the cards up. I there are any errors I'll update here.
Old July 17th, 2009, 09:53 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Slim UV 77mm B+W filter for EX3

Dave, good idea this list for EX3. Yes those Kensington EU adapters (33407) work fine as I use 4 of them all the time with my EX3!

Back to the list. I'd add a B+W 010M MRC UV 77mm Filter (SLIM) - that's the code that was on my receipt from last year. This is essential to protect the stock lens on the EX3 and, being the slim version, is narrow enough to fit between the standard hood and the lens and allow the barn doors to open/shut no problem. I got my filter from Wokingham Photographic here in the UK. I won't link them as they are not a DV info sponsor (but google is your friend....)
Old July 17th, 2009, 09:56 AM   #7
Regular Crew

The Anton Bauer QR-EX3 adapter with a Dionic Battery is an excelent addition also (alternative battery).... and I have the litepanels' microlite with Dtap connector as an add on lamp... worked very fine for me...

good luck
Old July 17th, 2009, 10:10 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Wilkinson View Post
Dave, good idea this list for EX3. Yes those Kensington EU adapters (33407) work fine as I use 4 of them all the time with my EX3!

Back to the list. I'd add a B+W 010M MRC UV 77mm Filter (SLIM) - that's the code that was on my receipt from last year. This is essential to protect the stock lens on the EX3 and, being the slim version, is narrow enough to fit between the standard hood and the lens and allow the barn doors to open/shut no problem. I got my filter from Wokingham Photographic here in the UK. I won't link them as they are not a DV info sponsor (but google is your friend....)
Andy...thanks for the reminder, I've added mine.

Everyone...please add your own lists to this thread (With Links) - only items you actually use please.
Old July 18th, 2009, 06:07 AM   #9
Major Player

I'll add to that list for EX-3 (and in a rush so no time to look up and paste links)

BeBob Battery Adapter -- Superior to the AB IMHO since it screws into the bottom screws of EX-3 and locks into read hot shoe. Adds a hotshoe at top of mount.

DV Tec ENG-Rig-- Just got one. Superb balance for EX-3. Consists of mount with rails which also has a Sony wedge, and a bar to attach to spring-loaded rod which fits into a belt holder.
Ned Soltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2009, 10:34 AM   #10
Major Player

Hey Ned,

Can you still use your DM shoulder plate with the DV Tec ENG-Rig attached?

thanks....
Old July 20th, 2009, 08:18 AM   #11
Major Player

I had responded to Bill privately, and the answer is yes. In fact, I am using the two in combination and it represents an ideal solution to the EX-3 shoulder-mount issue. Of course, you could always move camera off shoulder and shoot low with the ENG rig giving stability.

Cavision has a similar product but I must say it feels a little flimsy by comparison to the ENG rig. Likewise, the Zacuto rig is excellent, replacing the DM shoulder mount and adding two handles. It is also a very pricey solution.

Ned
Ned Soltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2009, 09:09 AM   #12
Major Player

Bebob Coco battery adaptor... adds weight to back to help balance, provides yet another wireless mount, increases battery time, give d-ring plug-in for toplight.

Rykote system isolator and softie.

Varizoom lens controller.

Sponge Bob Square Pants lens cover (with lens cloth sewn inside) and eye cup cover.

0620090816a on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Charles Newcomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2009, 03:33 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Added to list

Matte Box ( Screw on) - FM600 Matte Box

Circular Polariser - Polariser Filter

The Matte Box will also accept my Lee Filters.
Old July 21st, 2009, 03:44 AM   #14
Major Player

The Format Matte box is very good. I have been using one for a few years it's basic but does the job and of course is sensibly priced.
Bruce Rawlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2009, 12:05 PM   #15
Regular Crew

I would also add the B+W 486 IR filter to get the blacks corrected, it also works as a UV filter. the best solution so far.
Tipps u. Tricks: UV-IR Cut Filter B+W 486 , Jos. Schneider Optische Werke GmbH
Jonathan Massey is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds