How to get the best SD from XDCAM EX (Link). at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old July 20th, 2009, 12:03 AM   #1
Regular Crew

How to get the best SD from XDCAM EX (Link).

After a very long search i think i have found the solution with full illustration for FCP.

Outputting Standard Definition in FCP from the Sony XDCam EX1

Also here the solution for faster compression with Multi-Cores Mac Pro

Compressor - Enabling multiple Cores

All this can save you time and frustration when working with XDCAM EX.

XDCAM EX and XDCAM HD are great formats you just have to know the best workflow
Old July 20th, 2009, 08:38 AM   #2
Trustee

I don't understand why he needs to create a separate timeline for SD.

Best way to do downconversion I have found is to edit in HD and output a reference file, then use Compressor to do the downconversion using the best settings and frame controls to get the best result.

A downconversion straight from FCP will be very basic.
Simon Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2009, 09:11 AM   #3
Major Player

This SD conversion process is now a year and a half old and it is sadly outdated. It would be helpful if the web poster updated his information. Moreover, this article is based upon a PAL workflow which has its own issues distinct from the NTSC workflow. This topic has been thoroughly rehashed at great length in these forums. To get up to speed try using the Forum Search for a topic called:

getting much sharper SD results from
your HD footage

Also pay attention to the BBC report that explains why the EX camera at full HD raster has to much signal information for HD downconversion. This is relevant for both NTSC and PAL HD footage Cheers!
Barry J. Anwender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2009, 09:25 AM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Moreover, this article is based upon a PAL workflow which has its own issues distinct from the NTSC workflow.
Why is there a difference?
Simon Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2009, 09:28 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry J. Anwender View Post
Also pay attention to the BBC report that explains why the EX camera at full HD raster has to much signal information for HD downconversion. This is relevant for both NTSC and PAL HD footage Cheers!
There is a HUGE caveat to that statement as outlined in section 1.2.4 of the BBC report. So make sure to read it IN CONTEXT.
Old July 22nd, 2009, 04:05 AM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry J. Anwender View Post
It would be helpful if the web poster updated his information.
I've got to laugh out loud at this.

I'm the one who basically did the legwork for the article by my friend Rick.

I'd been asking, pleading, shouting (screaming) to take that thing down as I regularly get email about it. It was out of date within 6-8 weeks of writing, but I have had no luck in getting it changed. I've rattled my cage a bit and hopefully (finally) something will get done.

UPDATE: It looks like I'll be rewriting the article hopefully next week. Just got to wait for Ken to report back how we're going to do this.

Last edited by Matt Davis; July 22nd, 2009 at 07:10 AM.
Matt Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2009, 10:39 AM   #7
New Boot

Great SD

I use the Blackmagic-Design Studio ($699) to get high quality SD from my EX-1. This yeilds much better quality than the SD output of the EX-1. I generate this from the HD-SDI output of the EX-1.
Hal Protter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2009, 12:24 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Anyone use the Bonsai method?

I don't know about anyone else, but I use this method to downconvert from HD to SD and the results can be incredibly good:

Step-by-Step

Note that I don't tend to use the blur steps, and the key element of this method is changing the Motion Filtering Quality to Fastest (Linear) otherwise you do end up with line doubling as the article says (which yields really lousy video quality). I've never seen the MFQ setting referenced in other articles about downconverting (including the previous links in this thread), but the results can really be dramatic...
Brent Ethington is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds