Crash Course on EX1! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old July 20th, 2009, 12:09 AM   #1
Major Player

Crash Course on EX1!

I've just confirmed a music video video shoot as the DP and I'll be using an EX1 camera. The only problem is, I've never used one before in my life! And due to budget constraints the hired EX1 will arrive on location at the day of the shoot! This won't give me any time to play with the camera at all and familiarize myself with the controls and behavior.

The only glimmer of hope I have is that I own a Sony HDR-FX1 and I'm hoping to God that the feel of both cameras would be approximately the same with the same styled menus etc.

But I know that's not going to cut it. Basically, I need some tips and guidance from you lot to tell me how to set up the camera and which areas I need to pay special attention to and what are the problem areas I need to avoid. I've also never shot on 1080p before so I might need some help there as well.

I'm freaking out here, so any help or reassurance would be great!

- Ali
Old July 20th, 2009, 08:44 AM   #2
Major Player

Get Doug Jensen's Vortex Media training DVD for the EX1 overnighted to you.
Charles Newcomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2009, 08:48 AM   #3
New Boot

Fast EX-1 Information

The best information on the EX-1 is "Mastering the Sony PMW-EX1" from Vortex Media. The firsviewing will be invaluable and you will still learn from it every thim you review it.
Hal Protter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2009, 09:02 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Protter View Post
The best information on the EX-1 is "Mastering the Sony PMW-EX1" from Vortex Media. The firsviewing will be invaluable and you will still learn from it every thim you review it.
I can't say for certain that Doug's is the best because I haven't seen the one VAAST makes; but I can say for certain Doug's is very informative and very well done, and certainly worth the money.
Charles Newcomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2009, 02:39 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Vortex even sells a DVD of test clips so you can test workflow with EX clips before you get the camera.

Noah Kadner of CallBox also has a good EX training DVD.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2009, 05:53 PM   #6
Major Player

EX field manual ...

Doug Jensen's Vortex field manual to the EX3 camera is the next best thing as you can carry it with you.
Dean Harrington is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds