Telephoto adaptor lens - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old November 23rd, 2009, 02:40 PM   #16
Sponsor: Westside AV

Ben,

I agree with you 100% about tapeless. I love it, now if I could just get all the TV stations here to accept files I could get rid of my BetaSP deck, I still have 5 other decks that don't get used much except for old stock tapes or tapes from other shooters (DVCpro, DVcam, MiniDV, HDV and VHS/SVHS plus the BetaSP).

I am so happy not to have invested in HDcam or DVCproHD (I just rent those when I need them or have footage digitized by someone else). I really love XDcam.

It just sounded like the type of work you were describing the SD made sense. I sold a DSR500 to a company that does exactly what you described, and they love the 500's for this type of work, they run through a switcher as well. I think they have a a half a dozen of them. Also for them the tape archiving is really simple. When the shoot is done the archiving of each camera is done to. No messing with files.
Olof Ekbergh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2009, 03:13 PM   #17
Major Player

Is there any difference in quality between the 1.6X and the 2X teleconverters? Is one sharper then the other? More or less CA then the other? That kind of thing...
Old November 28th, 2009, 12:33 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Yes, I think if it was a bigger operation, then using the SD cams would be a good answer. It's just not that big(money-wise) to invest in more cameras or multi-SD cams. I've made good with what I have just wish I was getting better results with the x1.6 adapter, then I'd have less worries. If the events become even bigger or they want to invest capital then I'll start looking for different solutions.
Ben Hogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2009, 04:01 AM   #19
Major Player

If you are on a budget an old Canon 1.5x SD broadcast lens teleconvertor is a good bet.

I use one which I adapted to fit the the EX-1 and it cost me something like $300 on ebay. There is one here CANON TELECONVERTER ADAPTER, 1.5x/80MM. - eBay (item 350275423565 end time Dec-05-09 13:17:46 PST)

It has some softening of course, but much cheaper than the century.

Dan
Dan Chung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2009, 04:22 AM   #20
Trustee

As Doug says in an earlier post, the Adaptimax or Mike Tapas Nikon adaptor is a far better option, both adaptors are available for less than £150. You can pick up second hand Nikon lenses for a song on e-bay. I just purchased a 70 to 300mm Nikkor ED lens for £105, there are plenty of other bargains available.

Tip: the older style Nikon lenses with aperture rings are a better option, although both Nikon adaptors will allow the use of the newer style Nikon lenses( i.e. the ones without an aperture ring). I like to know exactly which aperture I am working with.

Last edited by Vincent Oliver; November 29th, 2009 at 07:56 AM. Reason: Spelling mistakes corrected - Sorry Steve
Vincent Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2009, 06:28 AM   #21
Major Player

You are right Vincent, using the Adaptimax is the best solution. As for lenses, there are real super bargains to be had. Just last night I purchased the 170-500mm Sigma Nikon mount telephoto for £280 on Ebay UK. Not as good a lens as a Nikon but a fraction of the price and it will do the job I want to to. A 500mm lens on the Adaptimax will give 2700mm super telephoto. Aim it at the moon and it will fill the frame.

A far superior solution than a telephoto adaptor stuck on the front of an EX3.
Steve Shovlar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2009, 08:01 AM   #22
Trustee

I should just add that if using a lens longer than 30mm, then you must use a sturdy tridod. I filmed the moons of Jupiter with my 500mm Nikkor, the biggest problem was trying to locate the subject - even our moon took awhile to frame up.

I have been using Steve's Adaptimax for a couple of months now and it is excellent value for money.
Old November 29th, 2009, 08:54 AM   #23
Major Player

I think you mean a lens longer than 300mm Vincent.
Steve Shovlar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2009, 11:09 AM   #24
Trustee

Fitsy speling misstakes and niw misteaks witv mi knumbers. Must try to find time for some more sleep :-(

Yes, you are right Steve, lenses longer than 300mm.

Tip: Don't use Nikon lenses wider or shorter than 85mm, with the exception of the 55mm Micro Nikkor, your stock lens maximum zoom setting is about the same as a 81mm in 35mm lens terms.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds