Problems with Transcend SDHC Cards - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old September 5th, 2009, 11:29 AM   #31
Major Player

With two Sandisk cards and six Transcend cards I have not been had one single failure with any of them using my six Kensington adapters under any circumstances. The six Kensington adapters are pre-loaded before any shoot.

I wouldn't trade the Kensington adapters for any amount of money in the world and can easily live with the card door not closing when I shoot rather than risk having any of these issues described even once.
If some day I have to shoot in a sandstorm I'll use my SxS cards.

Don't forget, the purpose of both the Hoodman and MxR adapters was simply to allow the door to close - that's it. Not worth it IMO, but on the other hand those excellent Kensington adapters are no longer available so you don't have much choice if you don't already own Kensington adapters.

Of course, if Sony would get off their monopolistic high horse and reduce the price of their proprietary SxS memory cards to a "reasonable" price level none of this would be an issue.

John
John Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2009, 11:37 AM   #32
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Peterson View Post
I have not been had one single failure with any of them using the six Kensington adapters under any circumstances.
Don't get me wrong - I've not had a single failure with any of my 8 MxRs, 2 Kensingtons, and 16 Transcends. The only problem I had was with 2 sandisk SDHC cards having their write-protect tabs snap off, making them totally fubar albeit in a safe fashion.

And ditto - you could not prise that kit out of my dead hands. But I'm a bit icky about buying any more cards at the moment. I love my MxR kit, but right now not sure if I would be persuading anyone to buy in during this 'batch' or 'year' (is 2009 a bad SDHC 'vintage'?), though I have done exactly that with a colleage, and yes he had problems (though it may be the card - Marcus, can you post here yet?).

The only thing I'm a bit wary of is that dull lazy mentality that concludes 'all SDHC cards are bad, anyone who uses them is a moron' meme that can infect the hive mind.
Old September 5th, 2009, 01:40 PM   #33
Inner Circle

To add to what Matt says,

TEST THE CARDS FIRST.

But the cards in (two if possible) and let the camera record straight through NON STOP including the slot switch. If they fail at all then the cards aren't reliable. If they can record end to end then try one more time end to end.

After that do some shorter records and periodically delete clips.

If you do that and don't get a media error then you're good to go.

I have two 32GB Sandisk Ultra II Class 2 (yes Class 2) and they've been spot on reliable since I bought them in January 2009.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2009, 02:26 PM   #34
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Frederick View Post
Malcolm,

What card adapter are you using? The Hoodman or an MxR? It seems to make a difference for some.
I am using MxR. I only have Transcend cards.
MxR, MxM and Hoodman were supposed to be all from the same manufacturer.
I understand MxR have switched manufacturers at some point.
Don't know how you distinguish between early and later models.
I don't shoot enough to really test the cards but am becoming nervous about using them for a paying job. Might invest in more SxS.
Malcolm Dyer is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds