Bad card recovery solution - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old August 9th, 2009, 08:26 PM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Moreau View Post

I'd like to get some statistics from the SDHC-Expresscard adapter makers about their failure rates. Forums usually are skewed to people that are having problems, where the people that have no problem don't report in. It would be in the SDHC card manufacturers' interest to chime in here, I think.

Like I said earlier, Hoodman claims that their RAW brand cards have zero failures. They are the 16 gig cards that come with the Hoodman SxSxSDHC Turnkey kit for 140.00. The card alone is 100.00. I have been studying these and have not ever seen anything about one failing. I have ordered one but not received it yet. They are made in America, and are tested much more strictly because they are designed expressly for photo/video use.

Here is Adam Reuter's personal review: http://www.vimeo.com/5213826

Chadfish
Chad Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2009, 08:14 AM   #17
Regular Crew

I have 10 Transcend cards and have had no problems.

I've been shooting almost constantly for the last six months.

I get "Restore Media" messages now and then, but that's from both my 2 SxS and 10 Transcends. It restores without a hitch.

Just my experience.
Mark Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2009, 03:05 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Savage View Post
I get "Restore Media" messages now and then, but that's from both my 2 SxS and 10 Transcends. It restores without a hitch.Just my experience.

The only time I had problem with the MxR/SDHC adapters and Sandisk or Transcend in it -can't remember which one- happened when I tried to insert the combo into the Ex1 slot while the camera was powered on already.

The recording worked but when I switched to play mode it told me that restoring is needed and meantime showed no clips at all.
Huuh-huuh, this was just after some one time chance interviews,
but after the restoring media was executed it had it all.....

So card combo in and out only while the cam is off it seems .
( this has been mentioned earlier too I think)
Old August 11th, 2009, 08:09 PM   #19
Tourist

SDHC cards, or better ???

Nice feedback after my last post!
I'll try anything (reliable) at this point. Yes, the SxS cards, on rare occation have asked me to restore media, but after doing so all is good. At this point, I can't see trying to decipher between newer/older SDHC cards, unless they were purchased a year ago, so I won't touch that. I think the problem lies with either the adapter, or the cards, and I have to change it up now.

Has anyone had any issues with the Kensington adapters? I had a picked up a couple from a guy with Ex1 saying they wouldn't fit into the slot, but they would with Ex3 - and do, but perhaps the issue is with the adapters, and not the Sandisk 16GB cards? I was hoping to get feedback before I go out and purchase the next batch of whatever it is that hopefully will work.

Question: Which would YOU prefer for most reliable card?
Transcend Class 6 16GB
Hoodman Raw? (Getting to close to the cost of SXS) for 16GB
Other?

#2 Question: Which adapter has best track record?
Kensington
Your favorite - write about

Again, what a good site! So great to be able to connect with other professionals!

Brendan
BA Productions
Roseville, CA
Brendan Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2009, 08:38 PM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan Smith View Post
Nice feedback after my last post!
Has anyone had any issues with the Kensington adapters? I had a picked up a couple from a guy with Ex1 saying they wouldn't fit into the slot, but they would with Ex3 - and do, but perhaps the issue is with the adapters, and not the Sandisk 16GB cards?
Actually the solution I use most often, other than the MxR and Transcend 16GB, are the Kensington Adapters with Sandisk Ultra II that I have shaved off a bit to fit with my EX1. Enough of the SDHC cards fit for me to remove them and use SDHC to USB readers to get the data into my computer. I also ground a notch in the metal of the Kensington so there'd be a little more to grab the SDHC card out of. I don't expect you to do the mods but just thought you'd like to know that that combo has worked very well and reliably for me. I don't believe I've ever had any type of error, even restore media with this combo.
Keith Moreau is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds