Please help at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old July 26th, 2009, 08:07 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Please help

I was outside shooting a little ground squirrel on top of a cactus. My Sony Ex1 was on a tripod zoomed all the way out to get a great close up shot of the ground squirrel.

When i play back the clip on my Samsung 52 1080p 120hrtz LCD TV, I noticed a very strange blinking and unwanted contrast problem.

Like the bright areas would look shaky and weird distorted looks to it when the cam moved.

What causes this and is there a fix???
Eddie Coates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2009, 08:19 PM   #2
Major Player

I assume you mean you were zoomed all the way in not all the way out. If you had the cam on a tripod you should shut off steady shot if panning, tilting or zooming, or your cam may make unwanted adjustments as you try to pan thinking it is unwanted vibration. If the shot is locked down then Steady shot set to on while on the tripod is ok. Without seeing the footage it would be hard to guess if that is what you may be seeing or not....
Jason Bodnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2009, 08:50 PM   #3
Major Player

I would bet it was from how you are playing it back.
Is it coming directly from the camera?
Ie. is cable from component to tv component?
Old July 26th, 2009, 11:02 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Yes i am going through component...

So I just figured out the unwanted distortion is due to component connection.

But when zoomed all the way in on the subject, even on a very heavy pro tripod the video on playback looks shaky when barely touching the camera, for example when focusing manually.
Eddie Coates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2009, 03:15 PM   #5
Sponsor: Westside AV

What tripod exactly is your very heavy tripod?

Even wind can affect a shot at 85mm. And focusing definitely will shake cam on most tripods unless you are extremely gentle.

I often put a zip-tie around focusing ring and then change focus w/o transmitting shake to lens by gently pushing on the plastic about an inch out from the ring, that really smoothes out your touch.

I also use a rubber band on my tripod arm to get really smooth pans when zoomed in.

Tele is touchy.
Olof Ekbergh is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds