import ex-1 footage first to XP, later to FCP at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old July 28th, 2009, 04:39 AM   #1
New Boot

import ex-1 footage first to XP, later to FCP

Hi everyone,

I will record a festival next week, with some long night-concerts.
I have a netbook running XP that I would like to use to import the footage during shooting so I don't run into memory problems. (right now I have 2 16 and 2 32 GB SDHC Cards.)
So here my question:
Is there a way to import the Scandisk cards using the card reader of the netbook, in a way that I will later be able to import the footage into my FCP system on the Mac?

thanks,

David
David Kuckhermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2009, 06:45 AM   #2
Inner Circle

You can use the Windows version of Clip Browser to copy the BPAV folders intact. Make sure you don't re-wrap to MXF.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2009, 08:27 AM   #3
New Boot

cool. After that, how will I get the footage into FCP?
David Kuckhermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2009, 08:33 AM   #4
Inner Circle

He shouldn't need clipbrowser for that. The cards should mount as a drive, then just copy the entire contents.
Old July 28th, 2009, 08:55 AM   #5
Inner Circle

NEVER do that for copying BPAV. There's no CRC check as done by ClipBrowser (or ShotPut). You can make a bad copy and not know it until the masters are gone.

To get footage into FCP just use XDCAM Transfer Tool or Log and Transfer Plugin in FCP.

If you want to know how to get footage off laptop that depends. Put the laptop on a LAN or hook to Mac via ethernet or copy to an external hard drive (using a method that has CRC checking as mentioned above).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perrone Ford View Post
He shouldn't need clipbrowser for that. The cards should mount as a drive, then just copy the entire contents.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2009, 09:18 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Seeman View Post
NEVER do that for copying BPAV. There's no CRC check as done by ClipBrowser (or ShotPut). You can make a bad copy and not know it until the masters are gone.
You know what, you're ABSOLUTELY right. Totally forgot about the CRC check in clipbrowser.
Old July 28th, 2009, 04:30 PM   #7
New Boot

so I should first copy the clips to the windows netbook using the xp version of clipbrowser, without wrapping them to mxf.
After that I will copy the files to an external hd, hook it up to the macbook and import the folders using XDCam transfer.

Is that correct?
David Kuckhermann is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds