EX3 or F335? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old July 28th, 2009, 05:59 AM   #1
New Boot

EX3 or F335?

Hi all, I have recently returned my HVR S270s for a refund due to the awful autofocus issues I experienced. I LOVED the 270 but I use autofocus on the shows I record and the cameras simply couldn't cope. I am now in a dilemma, having been bitten the HD bug. Is there a camera out there (preferably shoulder-mount) that can deliver HD AND use an AF lens? I have been offered for trial a PMW-F335 with a Canon VCL 719BXS AF lens. Various people have slated the lens but I do not want to make a mistake again! The nearest equivalent would be the EX3 - I have not heard a bad thing re either camera but obviously there is a huge price difference, plus a CMOS -v- CCD decision. I film mainly dance shows and school productions and the occasional wedding if I have to!

Can anyone throw any light on which HD camera I should consider please? I honestly believe I have considered most options, but to confirm my requirements:

1 - Must be HD
2 - Preferably (but not essential) shoulder-mount
3 - Must take AF lens
4 - Must have min rec time of 2 hours

Please don't ask why I don't use manual focus - I simply want to use AF!

Many thanks in advance for your help/advice
John Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2009, 12:02 PM   #2
Major Player

Forget the EX3 if you want to use AF. As you might have already realised, you have to be spot on in focus every time in HD. You cannot achieve that with AF of the EX3.
Brian Cassar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2009, 02:19 AM   #3
Major Player

How about the Canon XHA1. My other cameras all have manual lenses but I often use the Instant AF on the Canon as it is very fast indeed. For the sort of work you are doing HDV should be absolutely fine - in fact I think you would be wasting money to spend more.

It is reasonably good to handhold as well. Low light isn't as good as any EX but comparable to other HDV cameras.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds